Rookie needs help Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

splash1

Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Coast Of Maine, USA

I just finished my first ever brine and used the recipe of a dry rub from the book  Charcuterie.

I had the option of adding real maple syrup or honey to the bellies and I did one of each.  Dummy me did not mark them so I don't know which is which.
biggrin.gif

I just took them out after 8 days, rinsed them and now have em in a cold water soak.

I'm confused as to why one has yellow fat (on the right) and one has white fat?  Was it because of the maple syrup vs honey or did I mess up?

Would appreciate comments so I can go forward with confidence.

Thank you all.

th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
..........     Smoke 'em and eat 'em.......     taste test should reveal quite a bit......      Dave

You should be doing a Fry Test to verify the Saltiness is to your liking. That may give an indication which is which and a chance to add more Maple. I never messed with Maple Bacon but I would be afraid that if you can't smell it it's not going to give much flavor...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky