Rolled first fatty

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by 2cycle, May 25, 2008.

1. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

Well, here it is a holiday weekend and TLW sez I can't grill or smoke anything else til we use up all the smoked and grilled stuff in the fridge. But, being new to this site, and reading the threads about a fatty got to me. A couple days ago, I thawed a chub of sausage to do a naked one for my first one. Then I got to readin more threads on fatties, and the gears started turning. Well I had few pounds of venison brats that I got from a friend that has to sell his farm due to a divorce. I grilled some of those brats awhile back, and they were as dry as a soda cracker. Tasted great but real dry. So the little light came on... roll it up in the fatty! Knowing I had to roll over 2lbs of meats, the gallon ziplok wouldn't work. So I used wax paper brushed with olive oil (outa the spray stuff). I cut the casings off the brats, and rolled them out thin. Then rolled the sausage, put the rolled brats on, put 2 mozzerella cheese sticks and sprinkled some cheddar and twisted that bad boy up. Put a good dusting of my homemade Carolina Butt Rub. Its smoking now for 30min. I'll post a pic when its done.

Greg

2. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

Well, its done. I took it to 170deg internal, thinking that more grease would be rendered out. It looked good to me, with some cheese oozing out. Now for the Q-View.

Greg
    [​IMG]

3. pdigg

pdigg Smoke Blower

Nice job... Nothing like that first one! Soon enough you'll be back in the lab planning your next creation.

4. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great. Way to improvise.
    Andy.

5. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good to me! Good idea using the brats. There are so many ways to make a fatty and they're all good.

6. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ewww, looks delicious. Good job. Wife had some this with 3 eggs and some Artisan bread.

7. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good.
    Pull it at 160 next time for a moister fatty! [​IMG]

8. flyin'illini

flyin'illini Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the info on olive oil in the wax paper. I will have to try that.

9. 2cycle

2cycle Fire Starter

With the cheeses, it was as moist as I could have wanted. I like sausage of this type, well done to render more grease. High blood pressure here, so I do all I can to make the ticker last longer.

Greg

10. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Really nice looking fatty! The venison sausage idea is perfect and looks like it's going to be tasty.

11. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

spam reported , (used the triangle thing )hope I did that right.

12. kookie

kookie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Great looking fatty.............Bet it was tasty.................

13. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I got 2 brats in the fridge that are a little dry. I'm going to freeze them for the next Fatty, good idea, thanks. [​IMG]