Roasted Pork Shoulder (Lechon)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Getting ready to do a B-Day Party.Used my Kettle grill with KBB, cooking at around 500*F. Took 3 hrs. 25 min.

No pics of the prep.Rinced in cold water paper towel dried,put a large piece of foil in a big bowl,this was to keep the meat from burning.Gave it a coat of SPO, some of Jeffs rub,placed meat side down. Coated the top with olive oil and salt.

Got the Masterbuilt 18.5" Kettle ready, used my charcoal ring lined with a double piece of foil,outside the ring I dumped a chimney of KBB when it was ready.Topped off the burning coals and placed grating on,let it burn a few minutes. Time for the meat to meet the heat.

1st pic 1 hr 30 min into the cook

Cooked to 187*F

Skin came out nice and crispy

Unwrapped

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
LOL.....talk about your 'fast & furious'....yowzer....glad it worked out. I have yet to try similar but I read an article where a guy in Calif cooked a turkey in a Weber using an aluminum roasting pan, no grate, surrounded it with charcoal and covered it with the lid. Forget how long it took but it got rave reviews and that's the way they did every Thanksgiving turkey since. Might have been 45 minutes to an hour...depending on bird size. Looks good....skin nice & crispy. Will have to try this......Willie

LOL.....talk about your 'fast & furious'....yowzer....glad it worked out. I have yet to try similar but I read an article where a guy in Calif cooked a turkey in a Weber using an aluminum roasting pan, no grate, surrounded it with charcoal and covered it with the lid. Forget how long it took but it got rave reviews and that's the way they did every Thanksgiving turkey since. Might have been 45 minutes to an hour...depending on bird size. Looks good....skin nice & crispy. Will have to try this......Willie
Chef Willie it had to be done that way,big rain storm moving in,I finished 25min. before it got to my house.Thanks for dropping a line of nice words.

We just need a plated shot with some pansit and long beans...

Nice smoke!
Welshrarebit Sorry to say no long beans around here yet, and worse the party has been changed to next week. Now you will have to wait a week for money shot. Thanks for the point.

Looks like it turned out great! Nice job beating the storm. I didn't think a shoulder could be cooked that quickly. But, I've never tried it at 500*. Maybe you should eat this one yourself and do another one for the party next week,LOL. Great job, thanks for posting it, David.

Looks like it turned out great! Nice job beating the storm. I didn't think a shoulder could be cooked that quickly. But, I've never tried it at 500*. Maybe you should eat this one yourself and do another one for the party next week,LOL. Great job, thanks for posting it, David.
David Thanks I did think about eating that and telling them how good it was,but I froze it.Thanks for dropping a line.

Wife just told me she wants another one done for another party.

laugh1.gif

Looks really good! Your a better man than me I would of ate it!

Looks awesome Richie, had to look up lechon.... Now I've gotta try that, very nice job ! Thumbs Up

Can't wait til your party to see the money shot !

Looks good, but would like to see it sliced. You better watch out. It sounds like the Mrs. Is starting to claim you for all of her parties.

Welsh, when he sends one to you, be sure to send me a sandwich to eat while I'm watching 5-0. Joe

Looks awesome Richie, had to look up lechon.... Now I've gotta try that, very nice job !
icon14.gif

Can't wait til your party to see the money shot !
Justin if you do decide to make it,one other thing I did was wrap the inside of my coal ring.

That lets the heat go up and around,so you don't burn the bottom of the butt.

Thanks for the point

Last edited:
Party was on Sat., finally have a chance to update with the Money Shots.

Skin was crisped up when I heated it

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
That's some great looking Pork, Nice Job  
points1.png

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky