Roadside Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those are, without a doubt, the best looking "tot's" I've ever seen, and the TT doesn't look too shabby either. 
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

Problem is if you ask for bottom sirloin, you may not get the tri tip. All depends on the butcher. Try asking for the bottom sirloin triangle roast. Still may not be the same.
Ok, apparently at least two butchers in Indy know what a tri tip is. I called The Meat Shop just to ask, and they said sure they knew what it is, they could cut me one. So while doing the weekly grocery thing, I asked at Meijer and they also said they knew what it is and they could cut one. This is what I got.
Look rIght? Maybe tomorrow...

That's not a Tri Tip. It's a top sirloin. Should be triangular like a boomerang. And have more marblizing.

From Wikipedia.

The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin subprimal cut. It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef.
tri-tiproast.jpg

That's not a Tri Tip. It's a top sirloin. Should be triangular like a boomerang. And have more marblizing.

From Wikipedia.

The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin subprimal cut. It is a small triangular muscle, usually 1.5 to 2.5 lbs. (675 to 1,150g) per side of beef.
tri-tiproast.jpg
Yep that's what a peeled (trimmed) tri tip looks like. The ones that I buy bulk still have the fat on them, which when lucky will peel right off for the most part.

Oh well, whatever I got turned out good. I've got time to work on getting the real thing. Between heading into our busy season at work and crappy weather I probably won't be smoking much 'til March or April...
Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky