Ribs on an Electric Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rohan

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I'm looking for some advice.

For Christmas, my inlaws gave me a Brinkmann Gourmet Electric Smoker. I haven't used it yet, but I'm thinking about smoking some ribs for the Super Bowl next week. Of course, I plan on testing it this weekend.

The problem I have is, I'm not sure on exactly how long to cook them. Everywhere I look, I find differing opinions. The instructions that came with the smoker say to cook them for 2 hours. I tried searching for rib recipes on google, but the cook times all vary from 2 to 8 hours.

Has anyone used this smoker to cook ribs?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Over to the left on the site you see a list of "how to" items, one being 3-2-1 ribs. One of the easiest, foolproof way of doing ribs. Mark you it is a guideline and you may adjust it more to your taste after doing it once or twice, but I am sure you will love the results.
Remember to spray the inside of that smoker with PAM and run some heat thru it for a couple of hours, wood too. This will season it and get it ready for your first smoke.

Alright, I'm closing in on hour number 5 with the 3-2-1 method. I have this bad feeling that the smoker isn't hot enough. I shouldn't be able to rest my hand on the lid, should I?

I have a MES and the outside of it doesn't get hot. If you don't have an external therm you should get one. Takes out the guesswork.

Yer not smoking yer hand...LOL!

WHat's your digital thermometer saying the pit temp is? You DO have a digital thermometer, right?

200 is about the lowest you should use...250 seems to be about usual for most folks doing ribs eh, people?

I don't have a thermometer. But obviously I need to get one.

I just took the foil off for the last hour, and do look pretty damn good. I do have a meat thermometer, so I'll check the internal temp here in an hour. I'll let you know how it goes.

Rohan, I use an electric also, I usually do the 3-2-1 (edit) with some adjustments (Full rack of ribs vs Babybacks) I keep mine around 220-230.
But what I found out is brining the slab in salt and brown sugar for 24 hrs really keeps them moist and tasty!

Don't bother with ribs, you most likely won't get an accurate reading. Meat's too thin. Just look for meat pullback and tenderness. They be done then guarenteed. The thermometer is used for pit temp only when doing ribs.

These are actually a St. Louis cut.

Should I be worried that on one end of the slab, the meat has pulled back at least a 3/4 of an inch, but not on the other?

I don't do as many spares as Baby backs, but usually for me the end of the rack that is thicker(the meat) and the bones are the biggest( diameter) seems to have less pull back than the skinny end!

And yes Richtee, I usually like to do my ribs at 235-250 if I can keep it there.

PDJT don't you mean 3-2-1 ? never heard about the 1-2-3 method!
Must be the countdown, when they are on the table, and the family is waitin!
biggrin.gif

if ya got a 3/4 inch pull back, I would say them dogs is done! Good eattin!

ah yessss! the ole wine syndrome. I bet that hairless naked cat looks even funnier after half a bottle of vino'!

As usual, what Richtee said. This guy knows a lot more than chiles will admit to.

I plan on having 20 people over next weekend for the Super Bowl, so I was kinda nervous making ribs for the first time. I'm not sure how those pictures look, but holy crap, these are some damn good tastin' ribs.

I will say that this smoker is kinda small. The one slab barely fit.

Any advice on how many slabs to by for 20 people?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky