Ribs done in 2.5 hours???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdifeb74

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Hmmm... put these ribs on 2.5 hours ago and maintained a temp between 225 and 245, and they have an IT of 197???

Is it possible that they're done???

Sounds like your cooker might be cooking hotter than what it says it is.

How are you monitoring the temperature of your smoker? Factory thermometer?

I assume you have a water pan or some sort of heat blocking device between the heat and the grate so that's it's indirect cooking?

First things first, I would place a digital probe at grate level to see how that compares with the factory thermometer. Definitely looks like it's cooking hotter than what you want it to be cooking.

But I did do something a little different this time... and hung it down through the top because I lost the clip thing to attach it to the grate.  I bet that resulted in a mis-read of the true temp.  :(

Hope the ribs turn out ok.  I also had to chucks in there too...  which I've since transferred to a crock pot. 

But I did do something a little different this time... and hung it down through the top because I lost the clip thing to attach it to the grate.  I bet that resulted in a mis-read of the true temp.  :(

Hope the ribs turn out ok.  I also had to chucks in there too...  which I've since transferred to a crock pot. 
I did some higher temps the other day. Temps over 400 for and hour and foiled 2 hours at 350 in the ECB. Turned out great.
Not sure about 350 average for 2.5 with no foil though.

Last edited:
A great substitute for the grate clip is a potato. Just poke the probe thought the potato so it's sticking out an inch or so and set the potato on the grate right next to the food. You have a smoky potato snack when it's all said and done.

The true test will be in how the ribs taste, how tender they are, etc.. 

Good idea. I usually craft something out of aluminum foil and stab myself poking s hole through it. Got lazy today and perhaps paid the price.

Good idea. I usually craft something out of aluminum foil and stab myself poking s hole through it. Got lazy today and perhaps paid the price.
I saw one guy use a close pin. He drilled a hole through the 2 pieces above the hinge and stuck the probe through.. lol . recently I saw an alligator clip used.

Last edited:
So after I took them off the smoker, I wrapped them in foil with some butter and additional rub and put them in the oven for about 20 minutes at 200 degrees.  Just took them out and had a rib... and it's pretty damn good I'm happy to say.  Haven't sauced them up yet or anything, but it was nice and tender.

I'm actually saving these for a Giants/Eagles tailgate on Sunday... so my plan is to sauce them and re-heat on Sunday morning, then bring down to the game.

Was debating on freezing them for a few days, then thawing them out overnight before Sunday with the reheat happening early Sunday morning.  Think I need to freeze them at all or will they be good three days from now?

I saw one guy use a close pin. He drilled a hole through the 2 pieces above the hinge and stuck the probe through.. lol . recently I saw an alligator clip used.
I'm holding out for a roach clip... like you got in the 80s at the local carnival after hitting three balloons with darts.  I'll remove the feather and pray the Quiet Riot logo doesn't melt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky