RF Build: A Story in Pictures

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes, it's 3/8" wall gas pipe.  For the burnout, I picked up a few firebricks to elevate the pipe a few inches (for airflow), then set the pipe on them vertically and filled it with wood.  Cottonwood, mostly, as I have a bunch of it sitting around.  Once I got it lit, it burned aggressively--the chimney effect did good things.  I quenched it after an hour or so, but it was still hot the next morning.  It came out very clean, though it has picked up a goodly amount of surface rust since.  When I get ready to finish it, I'll use a sandblaster on it to clean it thoroughly, then paint with something suitable for high temperatures.

I started with a flapdisc, to much work, can't get in corners. So ....sandblast. Before I weld on end caps. Any ideas on cwt for CC door?

I picked up some heavyweight pipe about 6" in diameter when I bought my steel; I'll probably fab up a couple of arms and weld on a length of pipe, then fill it with sand until I get the weight right.

You don't say where you're from, but here in the Oklahoma City area, I've had good luck with Standard Iron for finding useful scraps.  The 8' x 12' 3/8" plates in the early pictures were found there, along with the gas pipe I'm using for the body.

Okiedave, I am 25 mi. North of Omaha on the Missouri river. Gods country! Buy the way that CC door weighs probably 50+ lbs. The wife has to be able to lift it. She's a smoker too. BACON !!!!!!!!!

Well, you're probably in better BBQ country than I am; I expect there's a reason it's called the Kansas City BBQ Society.

I've done a bit of flying in my time, and I always figured Wyoming for God's country.  Why?  Because there isn't anybody else who lives out there!  Great trout fishing, though.  I'd jump on a chance to go back.

I'll sit back and learn, and maybe see you (and your wonderful smoking wife) someday.  ;-)

Got the hinges welded on:

The welding isn't very good, but it ought to hold up just fine.  Alignment was easy, once I thought about it: I pulled the bolts and ran a close-fitting dowel through both hinges to position them, tacked them down, then pulled the dowel and finished the welds.  Nothing to it.

Last edited:
For the seals on the top of the door, check the door "swing".... You may have to attach the door seal to the CC on the top seal.... Looks to me the door will "swing in" on the top... then you will have to find where the "swing plane" changes to "swings out" for the rest of the door seal.....

Last edited:
Door's out!

I did most of the cutting with a 1mm cutoff wheel in my grinder, but I had to use a reciprocating saw in the corners to prevent overcutting.  Note how smooth and shiny the cutoff wheel cuts as opposed to the recip:

The best part is that there was absolutely no springing!  I definitely recommend 3/8" wall gas pipe to anybody if you can find it.

DaveOmak, to your concern, the swing is just fine.  The bore axis of the hinges is about 2" above the wall of the pipe, and a good 1" back.  I deliberately planned the geometry so it would have to swing up-and-out; I didn't even want it close, and it worked out exactly as planned.

I do recommend both the hinges and my dowel-rod alignment method, BTW: it swings very smoothly, with no binding.  My only issue with the hinges is the plastic bushings they use, but Lowe's carries brass bushings to fit, so that's an easy fix.

Next step: serious grinder time cleaning up the door cuts.  The face of the cuts may be smooth, but the edges are wicked-sharp!

DaveOmak, to your concern, the swing is just fine. The bore axis of the hinges is about 2" above the wall of the pipe, and a good 1" back. I deliberately planned the geometry so it would have to swing up-and-out; I didn't even want it close, and it worked out exactly as planned.

Excellent.... you'd be surprised how many folks neglect that bit of geometry.....

congratulation_graphics_2.gif
 on the bar.

Glad to see your back on track with the build.

popcorn.gif

Happy smoken.

David
Results just came out for the latest exam.

This time, I did it!

Congratulations on passing the bar exam. My niece has started studying for her to take it in a couple years....
Tell her to sign up for a bar prep course.  Seriously.  I tried to go without one, and missed it by the skin of my teeth.  Afterward, when I passed, I was in the top 5% on my MBE score.  I tried to go cheap, and my "savings" cost me a year.  Penny-wise and pound-foolish of me.

Originally, a double-walled insulated firebox. I dropped the plans for the double wall, but it will still get used.

One does not come across such a gift at the scrapyard and simply walk away....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky