Reverse sear steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sportsbeerfood

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Southern Illinois
Im wanting to reverse sear some steaks on my pellet smoker. What temp should I smoke at and for how long. Should I marinate in worchishire sauce? Any advice feel free. Thanks

What type of steak? Grade? How thick?
Typically I smoke at 180-200 until the IT is within 10F of my final desired IT. I usually season with S&P or sometimes Montreal Steak.
I personally don't like worcestershire on a steak.

How are you planning on searing?

Here's how I do it.
Smoker temp: 250F, put steaks in the freezer till the IT is 32F, once you have stable smoker temp and good smoke put the semi-frozen steaks in and smoke them till they reach IT of 100F, pull the steaks and let rest while the grill comes up to 450-500F then sear to an internal temp of 125-140 depending on the doneness you want. (The freezing part keeps the steak in the smoke longer than if you put them in at room temp.)

Reactions: noboundaries
Here's how I do it.
Smoker temp: 250F, put steaks in the freezer till the IT is 32F, once you have stable smoker temp and good smoke put the semi-frozen steaks in and smoke them till they reach IT of 100F, pull the steaks and let rest while the grill comes up to 450-500F then sear to an internal temp of 125-140 depending on the doneness you want. (The freezing part keeps the steak in the smoke longer than if you put them in at room temp.)

I'm not that patient when it comes to steak, but THAT is a great process. Points!

I got a little hibachi grill I was gonna have up to high temp with a 15in cast iron skillet. Ive yet to run to the local meat market. Was wanting them to cut them 2inch thick for me

I got a little hibachi grill I was gonna have up to high temp with a 15in cast iron skillet. Ive yet to run to the local meat market. Was wanting them to cut them 2inch thick for me

Sounds like a plan. For me, searing in cast iron has given me the best results - a little butter in the pan doesn't hurt either :) As it only takes a few minutes per side, you'll want to smoke until it's pretty close to your final IT - not more than 10F lower - or it may not reach your desired level of doneness. I would suggest dry brining with kosher salt at 1/2 tsp per pound - you could do this 24 hours prior, but even a few hours will be fine.

Done.

Attachments

• 20171209_191412.jpg
    20171209_191412.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: mike5051
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky