recommendations for my first smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

x0xsaywhutx0x

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 28, 2014
Blasdell, NY
Im about to smoke For the first time in a couple days and was wondering if any of yous have any recommendations on what to start with. I was think chicken wings, maybe some thighs and drumsticks since its cheap an easy, but not sure about the recipe or type of wood to use. I am using a brinkmann ecb.

Chicken is a good choice for a first smoke. It doesn't take long and is tasty. I am not familiar with the Brinkmann but if you can get the temperature between 300-350 it will give you nice crisp skin. I can't get the temperatures that high in my Bradley and cook the chicken unitl it is almost done and then finish it on my Weber grill to crisp the skin.

A pulled pork from a butt or shoulder is also a good first project for a longer smoke. It is forgiving and you know it is done when it gets to an IT of 200-205 and a probe goes in very easily. The downside of pulled pork is that you don't know how long it will take. Each one I've done is different. So, I usually cook it very early (even the day before) and reheat it to serve.

I'm sure you'll get a bunch of other great suggestions!

Disco

You can smoke a meat loaf, chuck roast isn't as thick and I believe cooks a bit faster.  Has enough fat in it that it can be forgiving.   You can get a partially or fully cooked ham and put it on the smoker for a couple of hours.  The added smoke really gives ham a great taste!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky