Ready to cook Turkey in bag

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jmk3921

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Bethlehem, Penna.
I would like to make "turkey ham" from a ready to cook boneless turkey breast like the type you might purchase in the deli counter in the grocery store. I am going to pick up two (10 pounders) at the wholesale supply house. These products are raw ready to cook and are exactly the same products that are roasted and smoked that you can buy for lunch meat. I just would like to know if anyone has done this and also the best way to cure before smoking. Thanks all, I haven't been here in a long time and miss you guys.--John

In my poultry brines I always add a little Prague #1 curing salt.  I don't cure my poultry but I like the slightly hammy edge the curing salt gives the meat, leaving the poultry flavor but with that edge.  I can't tell you how many times I've heard people say "this is the best chicken (turkey) I've ever tasted."     

Below is what I use for brining poultry.  It is a take-off of Alton Brown's recipe. 

Orange Juice Poultry Brine

Note:  I have warmed the ingredients to dissolve the solids.  What I found that works better though is blending the brine a large capacity blender.  Blending worked MUCH better than putting it on the stove.

Do not use molasses or syrup if blending and injecting.  It leaves a foamy residue in the meat that is unappetizing.

You don't have to inject the breast but I found it definitely gets the flavor into the meat better than just leaving it in the brine. 

Ziplock "Large" 3 gallon storage bags, which are food safe, are great to use as brining bags and will easily hold two 6 lbs chickens or one 12-14 lb turkey and the brine.  Discard the bag after use.

Brine
1/2 tsp Prague #1 Pink Salt
1/2 cup kosher salt
1 Tbs onion powder
1  Tbs garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup dark brown sugar or inexpensive maple syrup
1 quart orange juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 quart water
1 quart ice 
1 quart water

Directions

1. In a large capacity blender mix all the brine ingredients except the ice and last quart of water.  Blend until well blended and the solids have dissolved.  Pour into a large Dutch Oven then add the ice and last quart of water.  The brine should be cold before adding chicken.  If you don't want to use a blender, just mix the ingredients in the Dutch Oven, stir over low heat until well blended, then add the ice.

2. Place fresh or thawed poultry in the Dutch Oven.  Inject the breast meat while sitting in the brine then move to your brining bag.  If doing this as a one person operation put the brining bag in another large stock pot or Dutch oven.  Open it.  Grab the chicken with one hand by the legs, hold and let drain, then put in the brining bag breast down.  This recipe make enough for two 6 to 6.5 lbs chickens.  Pour the remaining brine over the poultry, seal and store for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator or a cooler packed with ice jugs.  Brining for more than 24 hours is not recommended but I've done it up to 48 hours with no adverse effects. This process will produce a tender, juicy final product because the salt in the brine changes the protein structure of the meat.

3. After brining, drain the pan or brining bag really well and discard the brine. Rinse the poultry again then prep for smoking.

I would like to make "turkey ham" from a ready to cook boneless turkey breast like the type you might purchase in the deli counter in the grocery store. I am going to pick up two (10 pounders) at the wholesale supply house. These products are raw ready to cook and are exactly the same products that are roasted and smoked that you can buy for lunch meat. I just would like to know if anyone has done this and also the best way to cure before smoking. Thanks all, I haven't been here in a long time and miss you guys.--John

I just did a ~10# picnic... it was enhanced... is the breast enhanced... if so, try this injection recipe... the ham was awesome..... I will try and answer any questions you may have about this technique....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233988/picnic-shoulder-into-a-ham-9-13-update-money

Thanks for the information, what I am wanting to accomplish is making this boneless turkey breast(loaf) just like the ham you get sliced from the deli counter only it's turkey. I will save this method for further review.

Thanks for the information, what I am wanting to accomplish is making this boneless turkey breast(loaf) just like the ham you get sliced from the deli counter only it's turkey. I will save this method for further review.

You can directly inject the breasts.... that was the point.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky