Rare Roast Beef for Sammies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

suie

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 18, 2010
Ithaca, NY
Thanks to all the advice I got here on the forum, I went ahead with some rare roast beef on the smoker. I started with a sirloin tip roast, just under 9 pounds, and a fresh batch of Jeff's rub.

I trimmed all but a thin layer of the fat from the roast, and rubbed it down. Then wrapped it in plastic and left it in the fridge overnight.

This is my new charcoal lighter, the Looftlighter. (birthday present!) It's kind of like a super hot hair dryer. You point the end at the charcoal, and as it lights you pull it back and let the air fan the flames. 

This is right after I used the lighter on 3 areas of the charcoal. Now to just wait for the rest to catch!

I used a combination of cherry and hickory wood chunks for the smoke. I started the beef when the fire was just a smidge below 250, then after about 20 minutes lowered to 225. Here's the beef right before going on the smoker.

It took just under 4 hours to reach 135, although as you will see I think my thermometer might be a little under. (I've suspected this for awhile) Here it is right before I removed it from the smoker.

Meanwhile I made some bread, and roasted garlic for roasted garlic mayo.

I wrapped the roast in foil and rested it for about an hour. When I sliced it in half, this was the result. A little on the extreme rare side.

For the sandwich, I toasted the bread a bit on the grill then slathered it with roasted garlic mayo. Yum!!!

Leftovers, ready for the freezer.

So despite the slight underdone-ness of the meat I was really happy with the result, and got lots of great leftovers!! I'd definitely do this again!

Last edited:
Man, that looks tasty!  Nicely done, Suie...
bravo.png

I agree with Craig, it looks Perfect!!!
And that bread looks Delicious!!!
Great sammie!!!!

Thanks everyone! I couldn't have done it without the help from here! 
yahoo.gif

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky