Rainy day pig roast!

Discussion in 'Pork' started by babcockwi, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Roasting a pig today, for a buddies parents B-Day party. Rubbed her down and got her spinnin about 6am. Will post some Q-View throughout the day.

2. wil definitely be watching... love a good hog roast.

4. Starting out with charcoal, then using apple and cherry the rest of the way.

5. TBS! Running at 350.

6. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

That sure looks like a big pig!!!!
    Nice rig you got there!!
    Will be looking for the finish, this should be good!!!

7. kathrynn

kathrynn Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Cool!  I will be around to watch too!  That porker is HUGE!

[​IMG]

Kat

8. How exciting! That's a huge pig and I love the set up. 

Don't forget we're drooling in anticipation for the final pics!

9. very nice. looks like youre off to a good start! :)

10. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks like it is just the right size for your smoker. You do have some nice blue smoke coming out.

11. The pig was 196lbs.

12. pigbark

pigbark Smoke Blower

[​IMG]

13. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Holy smokes! That is huge! Do you turn that rotisserie ( if it is one) by hand , or is it motorized? That is a pretty cool rig , I have to say.

14. pigbark

pigbark Smoke Blower

That is electric, you can see the cord in the front of the motor is hooked up...

That pig is gonna take a while to cook, I wouldn't want to hand turn it by no means...Probably got a Chain drive on it.. Nice set up for sure..

edit- I want a rotisserie now lol

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

15. 8 hours in, IT about 155 in the deep spots.

16. Here's a pic of the chain drive and gear reduction. This is the only way to go, the old one was belt driven, lots of problems.

17. pigbark

pigbark Smoke Blower

If I ever have a need for one, it would be chain drive ... nice rig.. Hopefully everyone shows ,, gonna take a lot of mouths to eat that monster

18. Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

19. We filled 3 nescos to the top with the pork. Finished it with a sauce made with beef stock, cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, and some other seasonings.

Time to relax with a few beverages.

20. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

Wow. That looks like it came out good. Great having the restaurant prep table in the yard. We could've used one of those at the pig roast I went to a couple weeks ago.
    (That was a tiny pig compared to that hogasaurus you guys cooked).
    Man, when that pork gets cooked right that is good eatin. I really enjoy that atmosphere too. It's like a big DIY project for all the guys and then you get to chow down and have a few drinks. Epic good time.