Quick Question About "bark" On Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trailrider

Original poster
May 4, 2010
I have just finished smoking and resting my first butt and the flavor and fall of the bone is great. I used Jeff's rub and apple juice. My question has to do with the bark. When I sampled a piece with bark on it, the bark was pretty strong and a little hot. I like it, but I'm not sure whether I should just incorporate the bark in to the rest of the meat or trim some out. I don't want it to be to strong for others we share with. I will wait to pull it, until some of you have shared your thoughts with me. Thanks in advance, Dale

Maybe keep the bark as separate as possible, but keep it available for people. They may surprise you and like it. I think most of us smoke meats tend to like things a little spicier and hotter than most folks so it may be a good idea to keep it separate if it's got some bite to it.

How big of a Butt are we talking??? if its up there in weight when you mix it up the internal meat should balance it out so that it just adds the flavor... but if it is one of those small 3-5 pound butts than it might be overpoering... what you working with?

mix it in. then if you foiled it dump some of that juice in with it , mix real good then you will be in heaven. good eating to you.

CC is right,the spicey flavour is in the outside, and the inside full of juicey pork flavor... pull it and mix it up and the whole batch of the pork goodness will have a lil of the spicey bark flavour to it. i dont think you will find it overpowering at all.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thank you all for the advice. The butt was 6.5 # . I do have a recipe for a finishing sauce and planned to make that available for those who would like to use it. I'm going to go pull it now and will use all the bark. I do have about 10-12 oz. of the "foil juice" and will sure use it. I love this forum. It is so helpful to us Newbies, Dale

Pics? Where are the pics??? LOL...I'm craving a good QView today...

I agree with the folks above...don't be worried about that bark. Best part IMHO even if it is spicy...just like the skin off of KFC original recipe.

If they could sell the bark or skin, I'd be in heaven...and probably dead!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky