Question regarding seasong my Masterbuilt electric smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cyberslick18

Original poster
May 19, 2011
Hey everyone, I just picked up a little masterbuilt propane smoker for some hobbyist cooking, and I had a few questions regarding how to season or break it in.

I apologize if this is a common question, I've looked around the forum but didn't find what I was looking for.

So simply put, how do I go about seasoning the smoker? I've read that people use a cast iron skillet with tin foil on top to prevent the wood chips from flaring up, but where do I actually put the cast iron skillet? Where do I put the wood chips, and where do I put the water?

I know these are noob questions but the manual that came with my smoker doesn't mention it at all. Any guidance would be awesome, this seems like a really helpful forum.

Welcome to SMF. There are a lot of very friendly & knowledgeable folks here to help you. I urge you to sign up for the free E-course. It will give you the basics, & even if you are an experienced smoker you may learn something new. Then start asking questions. Good luck & glad to have you aboard. Don't forget we all love Qview! Now, if you would, go to the roll call section & introduce yourself, so we can give you a proper welcome. Now for your questions. I don't have a gas smoker, but will try to help. I'm sure some of the gas guys will be along to give you better answers.

So simply put, how do I go about seasoning the smoker? Spray the inside with Pam & fire it up. I've read that people use a cast iron skillet with tin foil on top to prevent the wood chips from flaring up, but where do I actually put the cast iron skillet? In the chip pan, or in place of the chip pan. Where do I put the wood chips, and where do I put the water? There should be a pan just above the burner that holds the wood chips or chunks, I would use chunks. Above that should be a water pan.

Rather than Pam, I use spray on olive oil from Trader Joes. I just spray it all over the inside and light a good, hot fire.

Welcome to the SMF family!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky