Question on thin sliced roast beef sammies.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
I would like to smoke some beef to be used for roast beef sammies. I have a meat slicer & want to cut it real thin. What are my options as far as the cut of meat goes. What do they use in the Deli's or what does Arby's use? What do you guys(gals) use? Finally, if price is no object what is the absolute best cut of meat for this?

Arby's uses a special cut:

7f03c348_Horse.jpg

LOL---Just kidding!  
roflmao.gif

I'm waiting for the answer too.

Bear

Sorry about that Al !!!

OK guys  let's get some good answers to Al's serious question!!

I think I remember seeing some good roast beef sammies threads.

Bear

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

Now Al it really hard to find good horse meat so I have used sirloin tip for sammies. I just smoke it to about 135° we like some blood with our meat. Then just put in into the freezer for about 300 minutes before you slice it and then you can get it really thin slices. you might have to put it back into  the freeezer if it starts to heat up from the slicing fiction. So try it and OH yea it wouldn't take very long either. maybe 2-3 hours in the smoker too.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/79342/big-beef  

Last edited:
I just use any kind of beef roast that's on sale. There are so many crazy cuts of beef out there with whatever name the butcher wants to call them it's hard to define.... but I buy a big fat beef roast and it's roast beef time. Remember not to probe on start up.

Personally I try to find sirloin tip roast if I can't find it at a decent price I will use a top round roast.

Ok Guys thanks for the tips. I'm heading over to Winn-Dixie & Publix to see what they got. I'll let you know what I find.

Sirloin tip, tri-tip, bottom round..... any of the lean big chunky roasts will work fine. Just remember you aren't cooking to to 200° like a chuck roast or brisket.... just take it to 140-145 then foil, rest it, pop it in the fridge overnight, and slice away!

Sirloin tip, tri-tip, bottom round..... any of the lean big chunky roasts will work fine. Just remember you aren't cooking to to 200° like a chuck roast or brisket.... just take it to 140-145 then foil, rest it, pop it in the fridge overnight, and slice away!

Al and I are in FL good luck finding a tri-tip around here I've only seen pics of them 
biggrin.gif

Al and I are in FL good luck finding a tri-tip around here I've only seen pics of them 
biggrin.gif
Got any neighbors with cows? Think they would notice if one went missing?
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

sirloin and top round ..........if $$ is not a factor i prefer rib.

Make sure you feed them some grain for a few weeks before leading them into your garage for its final nap...in the freezer.

biggrin.gif
Got any neighbors with cows? Think they would notice if one went missing?
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky