Question on Pork Loin Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blackhawk19

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 20, 2007
Troy AL
I have a 4lb loin I'm going to do the weekend and was wondering if anybody has used the vanilla brine for Debi's site in her book of brines.
9 cups boiling water
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 kosher salt
2 tablespoons coarsely cracked black pepper
2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla

Then it says to brine it for 3 days, that sounds like a long time?

I will probably use Dutch's rub from the stuffed pork loin sticky thread, my wife doesn't like heat either.
I used is one that's currently under development.
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper

If anybody has any other suggestions I'm wide open to any ideas, this will be my first loin.

this is the one i just used on my last loin.........man was it good and moist....

its bullmastif's recipe.........thankx bull

Originally Posted by Bullmastiff
When I submitted my roll call thread I was asked about my brine recipes.

This below is my most used brine.

Meat: Pork, Turkey
Brine: Molasses, Cinnamon
Source: Me

1 cup salt
1/2 gal water
8 oz (half a jar) molasses
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
4 tbs ground cinnamon

In a large saucepot, simmer the ingredients until solids are dissolved. Cool and submerge meat in mixture. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Dry prior to smoke.

I'll use this brine on a pork butts with no marinades or rub and it makes a pretty good pulled pork. I don't rinse the meat off after I brine with this. I do still dry the meat. I pat dry the meat with paper towels.

Bullmastiff

First, make sure that you're talking about a loin and not a tenderloin; two different cuts.

Second, notice on Dutch's recipe or this one, that they don't take the internal temp very high. These are off before 150. It's not taken to the higher temps like butts are. If you take it higher, my experience is that it dries out pretty quick. There isn't much fat to keep it moist, or collagen to break down in an extended low and slow.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/porkloin1.htm

That's my story and I'm stik'in to it...

thats why i brine it...........i took mine to 170

from the outside........it looked like the small end was going to be dry

but was moist and tender like a old maids love

very large smoke ring.........and sweet......i used cherry for the smoke......

i believe it was the brining that helped......i have smoked this before.......LONG before this site.........and it dried out bad, was one of the reasons i dind't like dealing with pork.......but with the brining.....MAN

i am a convert...........

jm2cw

d8de

It's a pork loin and I'm planning on going to 160°, I don't think I'll have a problem with that temp if I brine, I will let you know

Three days is about right, you culd pull it at 2 but I wouldn't go less tha vanialla won't penetrate as well - it's very rich tasting goes real good with baby carrots or baked sweet potatoes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky