Question?! how to save ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaybuurn

Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
got a question about saving ribs. they have been in the smoker for about 2 hours not and the temp is at 220 and seems to drop then i mix the coals and goes back to 220ish. not im gettin low on hot coals and im gettin some more hot with the chimney. but its only at 2hours and im having some doubt. this is my first smoke and dont want to ruin it. any tips or if all else fails how can i save em

thanks

First, what kind of smoker are you using and next what thermometer are you relying on?

31WnNSfSZsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

and i found the stock one is broke so im using a new digi probe inside the smoker

You can get the amount of smoke you desire-color etc. and finsh in oven at same temp and keep practicing fuel amounts for desired length and temp.It can take awhile when using new smokers-i have personal experience in this
icon_confused.gif
How much fuel are using i.e. 1 charcoal funnel etc.

If you can't finish them in the smoker, finish in the oven. That's better than trying to freeze them half cooked. Haven't done ribs in the oven, but if 250ish works for the smoker, should be okay in the oven.

Don't have the smoker you pictured. Can't give you any advice on that.

I'm not familiar with that smoker, but I'm sure there are some on here who are. There may be some mods that you can do to help with the temps. I realize it's probably too late for info on the ribs, but as was already mentioned, throw them in the oven at 250 and finish. They should have some smoke flavor even after 2 hours.

so i tossed em in the oven
frown.gif
learned alot from my first smoke. im going to make a few mods and i think a fire basket will help alot. i took some pic and will post. thanks for the help

Glad you were able to salvage them. Hang in there. Won't be long and you'll look back and laugh about this.

My first smoke I lit off way too much charcoal and could have melted scrap metal in it..............

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky