Question about a Chicken Cordon Bleu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
I was just watching Diners Drive-Ins and Dives and they were doing a deep fried Chicken Cordon Bleu. It looked like it would be really greasy. Anyhow I was thinking "why not smoke one?" The flavors should blend nicely with the smoke.

Has anyone ever tried it? Results? Tips?

Now in order to make it you have to pound out a skinless chicken breast. before wrapping it around ham and swiss gruyere cheese. I'm afraid it would dry out really fast.

Might be a project for this weekend. But don't want to waste the time and/or money if I'm not the first to try this and somebody tells me it's a bad idea.

If you smoke it, you'd want to smoke it at a higher temp and get it done pretty fast. I've grilled, smoked, and pan fried it with great results. I probably prefer the pan fried actually, because of the nice flavorful pan juices it makes.

Yes, I've done the pan fried too. Now that I see there's a recipie I may have to try it out just to say I have done it.

You know Dude, pounding out and rolling up the chicken isn't the only way, might hold up better and not dry out so much if you get larger breasts and stuff them as opposed to pounding and rolling. May need to sew up or adjust layering and position of slice to try and avoid any cheese oozing out while smoking.
Dunno, just a thought.

I prefer mine pounded out flat when I make them, and I made this same mistake, I let mine dry out one time.

The next go around, I decided to try something a little different
biggrin.gif
.....I wrapped them in bacon. A little different flavor but still delicious and very moist.

Good luck

Just tossing this out as an idea, but has anyone tried doing a chicken cordon bleu fattie?
Not sure how well it would work out but I am sure it would be tasty.

A Cordon Bleu fatty? You're off on one of your "wacky fatty" idea moments aren't you.

But actually it sounds prett good. Maybe smoke the chicken first then chop it up and put it in the fatty. If not I'd be concerned about getting that chicken cooked through and not letting hang out at an unsafe temp for too long.

But it does sound good. I think better than the PB&J/banana fatty
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky