Question about 1st brisket smoke.....Qview & money shot!

Discussion in 'Beef' started by chaze215, Feb 12, 2011.

1. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

I have the brisket in the smoker as we speak, but on average, how much does the internal temp increase per hour? Im running a CCSV @ around 240-250. So, a little over an hour in, the internal temp is at 110. Thanks for any feedback!

Chaz

2. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Every one that I have done is different. It may stall & even loose temp at some point. You just have to be patient. I usually smoke mine at a little lower temp, 220-225. Good luck & keep us posted.

3. deannc

deannc Master of the Pit

As Al said, it's difficult to say really. Are you smokin' a packer or just a flat?  Good luck with your first one and don't forget to share the Qview![​IMG]

4. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Yep..what al said. Every piece of meat cooks differant. Go by IT temp and not so much time wise.But you can generaly go by 1- 1.5 hrs per pound,depending on stall times it could be longer.Take it up to a IT temp of 195-205 depending on if your slicing or pulling.

5. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I am about 3 hours in and it's at an IT of 146. Seems to be stalling in the 140's which seems to be the norm. I will keep everyone posted followed by some Qviews later. Stay tuned...

6. cycletrash

cycletrash Meat Mopper

The stals make it difficult to predict...just be patient and go by the temp.

7. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like you are doing just fine. Don't get worked up just sit back and let the smoker work it's magic on the meat.

8. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

Here we are 4.5 hours in and at IT of 166:

[​IMG]

Going to be doing a few ABTs as well:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2011
  9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I think all is going well.

10. theracenut

theracenut Fire Starter

Looking good so far..Thats gonna turn out fine. I picked up a brisket last night to do sometime soon. Enjoy!

11. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

We stalled out around 166 and it backed down to around 152. Right now we are 7 hours in and climbing back up with the IT is at 159.

Here are the ABTs...stuffed and wrapped.

[​IMG]

12. cycletrash

cycletrash Meat Mopper

another addiction !!

13. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

nice looking Q.. great job [​IMG]

14. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Patience Grasshopper...... The time differs with every Brisky...ie.-fat, muscle,connective tissue , on and on...that's the wonder of BBQ, the waiting. Anticipation makes the end product better.And the comradery of sharing drinks with friends is a big part of the BBQ experience for me[​IMG]

Just be PATIENT , and you rewards will be delicious[​IMG]

15. Looks like you are well on the road to some fine brisket and ABT's!

16. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

Here we go guys. This flat finally finished after 10.5 hours in the ol' CCSV. It had a great taste with a nice smoke ring, but I wish it would have been a bit more tender. The ABTs were AWESOME! Stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar/jack cheese, pepper and a lil garlic powder then wrapped with thick cut bacon. Anyway.....here are a few shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

meateater likes this.
  17. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Good looking brisket! Did you wrap it up and stick it in a cooler for a few hours before slicing?

18. chaze215

chaze215 Fire Starter

I foil wrapped it and towel wrapped it for about an hour. Not sure if this was too short or not.

19. lovinsmokin

lovinsmokin Fire Starter

Looks great! I've got 3 racks & a couple briskets in right now, 3 hours in, hoping it all looks as good as yours!

20. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Looks great!!! Way to hang in there!!!