Pulled pork yield from shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

homebrew & bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
NE Nebraska
I was wondering roughly what kind of yield is typical from pork shoulders to the amount of pulled pork. A couple of days ago I did about 30 pounds of shoulders. After taking out the bones and the excess fat we ended up with about 16 pounds of pulled pork. Is that about "average"?

I know a lot depends upon the particular piece of meat but I was just wondering if that was the usual ballpark.

Yeah, that's pretty average... there is alot of waste with the skin, bone and excess fat. But man is it worth it!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well if I get the ones from Costco, they are already deboned and deskinned so alot more bang for your buck. The yield is much higher, but I couldn't give you a definitive answer on the actual loss.

I just finished my first shoulder and I bet I got about 3-3.5lbs of meat from a 5.25.b shoulder. The Skin alone was probably close to a pound :(

Yes, I usually find that my finished product of pulled pork is about half the pre-cooked weight. I also have found that a 7 lb (pre-cooked weight) butt gives me about 20 sandwiches.

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

What I have read says you can expect a 40 - 60% yield depending on the piece of meat. Sounds like you were right in there.

Thanks for the input. I was just curious about what the "normal" range was. Sounds like I am getting about what I should expect. For what pork butts cost pulled pork is still cheaper than steak.
icon_smile.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky