Probes for Digital Remote-Reading Meat Thermometers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbithutch

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I posted earlier that I had misplaced my thermometer probes.  I was able to find a replacement for my Maverick ET901 from Maverick, but I've struck out on finding a replacement for the Acu-Rite 724 that I have.

In looking around, it occurred to me that I had probably used the probes for these 2 thermometers interchangeably because I don't remember marking them in any way and both use the same mini plug to connect to the electronics.  I don't recall having any questionable readings from these thermometers (unlike the built-in on the MES40); and, I suppose it is possible that I never accidentally used the wrong probe on either unit; however, this line of thought makes me wonder if there is any meaningful difference in the construction and function of the wires and probes.

Does anyone know the answer to this question?  Can you point me to a web page?  My search fu is not strong tonight.  Also, if anyone can point me to a source for a replacement for the Acu-Rite, I'd me much obliged.  I see that I can buy a whole new unit for $20 plus shipping, so the price has to be right.

For those of us who have multiple thermometers, it would be great to know if it is important to their function that they use the correct probe.

Howdy, Scarbelly!

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did some searching on the interwebs and came up with a bunch of Acu-Rite stuff but could not find anything relating to the model 724 which is what I have.  I can't find any wiki on probes that makes any sense in the context of a wire and a probe and electronics.  If I knew whether or not there was any physical difference in the wires and probes, I'd feel better about purchasing a probe for a different unit.

What makes me question the point is the fact that most manufacturers have replacement probes but they all list specific models that they are to be used with.  This makes me think that there is no real or de facto standard.  Many use the same mini-plug connector, but some use other types.

I've ordered an OEM replacement for my Maverick.  I'm thinking that I might order one of the Acu-Rite replacements and test it with boiling water and comparisons to see if it will work, but I will probably just keep the change and put it in my squirrel fund for a ThermaPen.

Again, thanks for the help!

rh

Originally Posted by rabbithutch  

.... but I will probably just keep the change and put it in my squirrel fund for a ThermaPen.
Definitely keep the change and get a thermapen asap (at least in my opinion). Plus, if you do have a problem with the Maverick probes, give them a call. From past posts about the manufacturer, they will do what it takes to make things right with their customers.

Good luck, and happy smokes!

did you try the Mav probe in the accu rite with boiling water ?
I haven't yet, JD!  I have hidden my probes from myself so I can't try that right now.  I should get a probe from Maverick next week and will give it at try then.  I figure if it blows out the electrons in the Acu-Rite, I'm not out much money.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky