Prime Rib, how to go about it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stray

Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
Syracuse, MO
Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m looking for a good no fail recipe for prime rib; Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve love prime rib and want to try a prime rib roast myself.
I know I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t worry about ruining it, but this is a pricey piece of meat. With that said Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure I can fix a dinner that is very editable. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m just trying to get a little research to make sure I give it my best.

Try and search for "j minion" and search through those threads.. I cant remember exactly what the procedure was but I tried it out last summer and it was great. Good Luck

I smoked a prime rib from Sam's club that comes premarinated and with au jus sauce to cook the prime rib in the oven with. I followed the directions that came with it, but did it in the smoker adding smoke. I over smoked mine, but after a night in the fridge it was excellent the next day.

Be sure and post some pics and let us know how it goes Stray. When you do a prime, you gotta share.
icon_wink.gif

set your prime rib in italian dressing and minced garlic for 2 days in cellafane  place on a rack in the oven for 1/2 hr at 450 after 1/2 hr turn heat down to 250 and continue to bake for 1 1/2 hr if you like it well done go 2 hrs,make sure you ask your butcher to craddle your prime rib so you have the flavor of th bone in the meat ,once cooked you can remove from the bone easily

When I do a standing rib roast I just give it a simple salt/pepper/garlic rub. I toss it on at 250 and let it go to the temp I am looking for.

What elly said. Prime rib is such a good cut of meat, you don't want to screw it up with a bunch of spices..

We coat it with EVOO or worsty & dust it with Montreal steak seasoning.

I find that everything that I smoke is better after being wrapped in foil and left to rest in the frig for 24 hours especially fish.  Smokin' Vegas

What elly said. Prime rib is such a good cut of meat, you don't want to screw it up with a bunch of spices..

We coat it with EVOO or worsty & dust it with Montreal steak seasoning.
I am the same way  as Al. I do add a bit of pepper, garlic & onion powder and maybe some sea salt with mine.

I find that everything that I smoke is better after being wrapped in foil and left to rest in the frig for 24 hours especially fish.  Smokin' Vegas
I agree the first one I smoked I only had about 2 hours to let it sit in the rub and it was really good but the second one I did I let it sit over night and it was even better.

When I do a standing rib roast I just give it a simple salt/pepper/garlic rub. I toss it on at 250 and let it go to the temp I am looking for.
X2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky