Pricing baby back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lazykitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
Millsboro, DE
I'm planning on doing baby back ribs on Saturday, and I see Food Lion has them for $2.95 lbs.  I was just at Harris Teeters, and they had bogo on Smithfield baby backs (ends up being $3.25 lb).  I've never purchased baby backs before, does $2.95 sound reasonable?  Just curious as to what everybody else is paying.  This is in Delaware.

Around here, you would be super lucky to find them under $3.99. Often $5.49 !!!

That's why I usually do Spares.

Bear

Sam's the the cheapest around here and $2.98 is normal, sometimes less on sale.  Everybody else seems to be $3.95 and up

I apologize for not directly answering your question but I just bought a 3 pack of St. Louis style ribs from Costco.  I got them for $23.00.

The reality is, ribs like everything has gone up.

I prefer spare ribs and then to cut them down to St. Louis, since it's pretty much the same (in my opinion) as BB.  But now, Costco no longer sells Spare ribs.

My local Costco still has spares. Just saw some St. Louis style the other day. Problem is, I can't stand the cartilage in them.

Here's what I did yesterday.

These BB from Costco were even cheaper then when I saw them last week!

First time using the MES for ribs and they came out the best I've ever made.

The wife, kids and neighbors all loved them.

Can't wait to make some more!

Our markets here, including Food Lion and Ingles, have BB ribs on sale pretty frequently. Under $3.00/# is good. Just be sure they are BB and not St. Louis cut ribs. I've seen markets play that game a time or two, but it was probably a butcher trainee error?!?!

As far as I'm concerned st louis's are meatier, tastier, and cheaper than bb's. Cook 'em right and just as tender too. BTW..... loin back ribs are not classified as bb's.

Baby back ribs (or loin ribs, back ribs) are taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spare ribs, below the loin muscle. The designation "baby" indicates the cuts are from market-weight hogs (240–270 lbs.), rather than adult hogs (500–650 lbs.).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_ribs#Baby_back_ribs
Thanks. I did not know the actual origin of "Baby Back Ribs". Goes to prove you're never too old to learn something new.  

As far as I'm concerned st louis's are meatier, tastier, and cheaper than bb's. Cook 'em right and just as tender too. BTW..... loin back ribs are not classified as bb's.
We just prefer BB since there are only two of us and the slabs of STL ribs are usually large. However, we just did have a rack of STL ribs and they lasted for three meals, were meaty like you said and inexpensive. A rack of BB even lasts us for two meals. The older we've become, the less we eat per sitting. Not many years ago, my wife and I would would wipe out a rack of BB in one meal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky