Preping Pork Butts for Tomorrow's Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

downstatesmoker

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Rockville Centre, NY
This weekend I am smoking 3 pork butts for PP. I've got some qview of the prep work. Don't look if trimming heavy amounts of fat off the butts offends you
icon_wink.gif

Butt 1 Untrimmed

Butts 2 and 3 untrimmed

Butt 1 trimmed

Butts 2&3 trimmed

Injected and rubbed.

I put down a little honey before I laid the already rubbed butt down on the foil. Then more honey on top and wrap.

Will unwrap either tomorrow afternoon or evening and get them on the SnP.

Will have more QView for you tomorrow!

Great looking start, I'll be looking for that Q View.

Looks like you are off to a good start. 3 butt roasts? You must be feeding a army
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif
I did two 6 pounders yesterday and that was alot of pp. I sent a couple of pounds home with a buddy of mine who was here. Spread the Q I always say!!

Well, as it happens, I was having some people over Sat night. Started out with just a couple of us because my parents are coming into town. Ended up with about a dozen of us.

I was afraid that 1 pork butt may be too light so I got another one, figuring I could always send people home with leftovers.

Yesterday a buddy of mine called me and asked if I could make ribs for his daughters birthday party they are having on Sunday. The event is at 1 and I have my parents in town so I didn't want to monopolize all of my time at the smoker.

We compromised that I would throw an extra pork butt on the smoker if he would pay for it. So there is #3. He's getting on to take home and serve to his family on Sunday :)

I agree with the other folks, those butts look really good.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

How i do it.Under fat cap is another layer of fat anywho.Never effected my tenderness etc......Do the same to brisket....

well the butts have been on for a few hours now, about 3 or so, they are up to almost 160 already, no stall yet. Here is how they are looking

Will have more pictures as the day/evening progresses. Coming up to temp quick.

I noticed that DSS had the thermometer half in the meat. How far into the meat does the thermometer have to be to read accurately? Every time I have it inserted halfway, it heats up too quickly and tells me I'm at my target temp....but I know better.

Any suggestions?

looks good so far.........
i always look for the lowest temp when i'm probing around.

Probes were all over the place. My Maveric was reading way off the charts (that was all the way in at the time). My Charmglow seemed to be pretty dead on.

I took the three of them up to approx 205 (one to 195, it was tough pulling, the other 2 to 205, they practically pulled themselves apart).

Unfortunately the only picture I got was this one:

I had taken several others when they were intact but the camera decided not to save them for some reason, mystified by that one.

I tried some. I like it. The masses will weigh in tomorrow and Sunday. Will keep you updated as I get feedback.

Thank you for reading!

Nice looking meat there Downstatesmoker. Never get tired of seeing pulled pork pics.

Semper Fi try a calibrate your thermometers. You can do that by putting them in boiling water which should be somewhere in the area of 212 degrees. Then attach a piece of tape to the back of the thermometers and right down how many degrees they are off. i.e. +/- degrees. Unless there off by a lot then discard.

Started the fire around 1:45 PM. Butts went on just before 3PM. 1st one came off around 10:30, last one came off around midnight.

Pulled the first one off at roughly 195, the others off at roughly 205. I'm going to let them go to 205 from now on.

Let them rest for an hour in an oven that I had preheated to 200 and then shut off once the butts went in, wrapped in aluminum foil, in foil 1'2 trays. Came out after an hour and pulled without an issue. Practically fell apart.

I put in the middle of meat.I just hold probe over meat and put thumb on probe were middle wood be and press into meat until thumb hits outer edge of butt.

When i reach internal I then probe with my therma-pen(double checking internal) and when it goes in and out with no resistance it is pullable.....after resting a few hours....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky