Post build, can't get heat up...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spaceman spiff

Original poster
Aug 1, 2017
Built my mini last week and did some chicken quarters for trial run. Came out okay, but could never get temps over 250. Tonight threw on some baby backs and could never get temps above 200.

I have the premium smokey joe with side vents, the bottom of pot is bunch of 3/4" holes drilled out, 12" terra cotta for diffuser, and Royal Oak bricks as fuel.

My assumption is needing to just cut out bottom fully for more air flow, but maybe other experienced guys have thoughts/suggestions?

Maybe you should try cutting out the big circle like a lot of people do when they make'em.I understand it makes them flow better.

yes sir... cut the bottom out leaving about a 1 1/2" - 2" lip on the pot ... and then I made a grate that's just a little smaller to fit down past the indent and sits on that flange that was left from cutting the center out ...

Then you can set your terra cotta down on that grate

Actually.. I think I seen where somebody cut the sides of a regular grate and then it fit down past the indent ..

Last edited:
Yep I would say cut the bottom out like others have stated. Still kinda weird though because some times I use the steamer pot insert with the holes and still get high temps.

You can try running it without the terra Cotta plate since with the bottom not all the way cut out it's like running 2 diffusers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky