Pork Tacos and Turkey Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whiskeyfoot

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Gonna try a recipe I found in my new cook book, called East L.A. Pork Tacos.  I'm a sucker for a food truck, so these sound right up my alley!  I'll share the recipe if anyone wants to check it out.  

Also going to smoke a whole turkey breast for my lunch meat this week....a little more worried about this one, but this forum is giving me courage hahaa.

Gonna post some pictures when the smoke clears!

Wish me luck!

I would like to have a look at that taco recipe..I am a Taco freak....
nana2.gif

Pork's marinating as I type...can't wait!

Here's the recipe:

"Borracho Marinade and optional mop:"

2 cups orange juice

2/3 cup tequila

juice of 2 limes

juice of 1 lemon

1/2 med onion minced

1 tbsp olive oil

3 cloves garlic minced

2 tsp dried oregano (preferably mexican)

1 tsp achiote paste (hardest thing for me to find)

1 tsp cumin

several dashes Habanero Hot Sauce

6 shoulder pork chops 12-14 oz each.

warm corn torillas.

Chopped onion and cilantro, and lime and orange wedges, for garnish.

(additional hot sauce for serving)

Combine MARINADE ingredients in a food processor/blender the night before, and pour ingredients over pork in plastic bag, refrigerate overnight.

Prepare smoker for barbecuing, bring temp to 200*-220*

Drain pork, reserving all of the marinade if you plan to mop.  Let chops sit at room temp for 30 mins.

(to make mop, bring marinade to boil over high heat for several minutes, keep warm)

Smoke chops for 2-2.5 hours basting at 45 min intervals (if you are basting)

When done, pork will pull easily away from fat and bone, allow to sit at room temp for 10-15 mins and pull pork into shreds. Arrange pork on a platter and warm tortillas and garnishes. Serve with addition habanero hot sauce.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
So of course the day I decide to go all out, it's 33 degrees outside!!
a warm day for you to smoke then
ROTF.gif

well got to eat no matter what the weather is like.

last year (when i used to still soak the wood) I had to break the ice

every time I added wood .

so get-er-done !!!!!

grilling_smilie.gif
 is a 12 month sport !!!!!

Ya know, I figured I was in for trouble complaining about 33 haha!  Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of being a Florida boy hahaa

Ya know, I figured I was in for trouble complaining about 33 haha!  Ahhh, the trials and tribulations of being a Florida boy hahaa
sorry
biggrin.gif
 Just had to harass you a little . its 12 degrees here right now .

wishing I was a "Florida boy" about now.
cool.gif

So in typical newbie fashion, I'm starting to worry about the food.  Turkey (about 6.3lbs) has been on since about 2pm, it's now 7:45 and I'm only reading 154* on the digital thermometer....which hasn't moved in what seems like an eternity.  (probe is in the middle of breast where I usually check poultry)

Like I said earlier, my two small practice runs went pretty well, but it was considerably warmer outside.....for example, I just pulled lid off to remove two sweet potatoes, and it's taking forevvvvver to get back up to the 200* + range, whereas previous nights it took no time at all to bump right back up to 210, etc.

As long as I keep it running I assume it'll eventually get up to temp, even if it's midnight, right?  Is there anything I should worry about, as far as ruining the meat.  I don't care if it comes out under par, just as long as it's edible at this point...hate to waste $35 in meat.

Thanks for readin!  -J

Well, to follow up, the pork turned out so-so....just not falling apart, but not terrible either....

.....the turkey on the other hand saved the day!  Absolutely splendid!!

72e8d3df_tacos.jpg

8f4847ce_turkey.jpg

Thanks for the Pork Taco recipe!  The wife and I love trying new recipes for any sort of taco and this one is worth a shot!  Any revisions/suggestions that you would make to the recipe?

I think the flavor of the recipe was great!  I just overcooked my pork unfortunately...Still figuring out my temps on the smoker, plus I was trying to juggle too many things on my first full smoking day.  I'd go with the recipe as is, and I bet when the meat comes out like it should, it'll be downright awesome!  The only thing I might change next time, is the brand of tequila I use.  This past time I used 1800, and personally I just don't like the stuff, bought it on a whim.  So just be sure to use tequila that you know tastes the way you like it because it does impart a flavor to the meat!

As for the turkey, I think I just got lucky!  Came out absolutely perfect, can't wait to do another!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky