Pork shoulder with Pecan wood?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickdentist

Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Brandon
Hello y'all. I am finally about to start doing some more smoking again. It has just been too dern hot outside lately. Being 110 degress plus outside doesn't sit well with me while I have a fire going. Anyway, I am planning on smoking a pork butt this weekend for tailgating. I am thinking of changing this up and using a mixture of pecan and apple wood instead of my usual hickory. Has anybody used this combination of wood before on a pork butt? I would just like some fed back on this change I'm thinking of making. Thanks

Almost anything works with apple or pecan both are good woods with great flavor! Milder than hickory with a almost sweet smell. You'll love it! Good luck!

I have used pecan more than any other, and absolutely love the smell and flavor it gives, even more than hickory or mesquite. Good luck.

I really like hickory as the true smoke of BBQ, BUT -
I also love the mellow smell of pecan. And apple is simply hard to beat. And cherry is so fine. And ................
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

Dang! They are all so good!
You WILL like the pecan/apple - go for it!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky