pork shoulder taking a long time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Time usually isn't relevant to the size of the butt from my experiences. I smoked a 4 pound one last week @ 250. Started it at 11 am, foiled it at 165 and it finally reached 205 at 10 pm. Obviously the 1.5 hour per pound doesn't always apply.

Last edited:
Yeah, usually there's about a 1.5 hour per pound rule, but with pork butts this really doesn't apply (in my experiences, at least).  You can crank the oven up to 275 with the foiled butt in there and bring it to 205.  Also, I know that you're hungry, but letting it rest for 1-2 hours will make it much more tender and juicy.
yep, ive got the foiled shoulder in the oven at 275. i wa sunder the impression that i only had to let it rest for a half hour?

I usually rest for at least an hour but have gone as little as a half hour if pressed for time with decent results.
yep, ive got the foiled shoulder in the oven at 275. i wa sunder the impression that i only had to let it rest for a half hour?

Let it rest for at least 1-2 hours...the longer the better.

I understand that you're ready to chow down on it, though, so 1 hour would probably be OK before you pull it.

Let it rest for at least 1-2 hours...the longer the better.

I understand that you're ready to chow down on it, though, so 1 hour would probably be OK before you pull it.
ok but i dont own a cooler, got it wrapped in foil and a towl though.

I usually rest for at least an hour but have gone as little as a half hour if pressed for time with decent results.

i spent all day on this, so i want the best results. ill go the full hour

ive already try pulling it at 180 because i didnt want to wait, waste of time to cut it short. figure i might as well wait an extra half hour for the best results. cant do two though, that just isnt going to happen

Last edited:

ive already try pulling it at 180 because i didnt want to wait, waste of time to cut it short. figure i might as well wait an extra half hour for the best results. cant do two though, that just isnt going to happen
You want it to be 205 before you even let it rest.  It will pull just fine then.

I wasn't telling ya to pull it at a lower temperature. What I did say was that I've pulled a butt or two off of the smoker at 205 degrees and rested it for a half hour with decent results. Longer rest is better, but in a pinch ..... a half hour will do.

I wasn't telling ya to pull it at a lower temperature. What I did say was that I've pulled a butt or two off of the smoker at 205 degrees and rested it for a half hour with decent results. Longer rest is better, but in a pinch ..... a half hour will do.

i i know you werent, i was just citing a past instance in which i foolishly chose to cuts corners and ended up wasting my time. i waited the full hour, and it ended up damn good. pulled it out of the oven around 195 or 200

You want it to be 205 before you even let it rest.  It will pull just fine then.
i think i pulled it out closer to 197ish, and the thing fell apart easily. i suppose had i gone to 205 there'dve been less grease though right? although i looked and had trouble finding any left over fat, i think just about all liquidized

i think i pulled it out closer to 197ish, and the thing fell apart easily. i suppose had i gone to 205 there'dve been less grease though right? although i looked and had trouble finding any left over fat, i think just about all liquidized
It would have been even more tender and juicy if you would have let it get to 205 and rest for a couple of hours.

I'm sure that it's fine, though, and let us know how it came out.

It would have been even more tender and juicy if you would have let it get to 205 and rest for a couple of hours.

I'm sure that it's fine, though, and let us know how it came out.
it was delicious, my first true success so far.
next time ill get up earlier

Last edited:
it was delicious, my first true success so far.

next time ill get up earlier
Awesome, glad to hear it!
smile.gif

I did a 6.5 lb butt last weekend and it was on the smoker for 15 hours. I foiled it at 165 and finished in the oven when the temp hit 170 since we had people coming for dinner. It was in the oven for about an hour where it went from 170 to 205 so it was pretty fast. Pulled real well and was very good when it came out! Good luck!

I've just started to do at least two butts and a picnic at a time now, and count on it being a 14 hour day at least.

Usually twelve hours on the smoker at 250-275... then the two hour rest.

Then I just vacu-bag it all in portions for my family, and boil the bags back up when I want some pulled pork sammies.

Good things alwasy take time and are worth waiting for.

Now you know all about the stall. There are threads already on here that explain what stall is all about and why it occurs in the first place. 

Good things alwasy take time and are worth waiting for.

Now you know all about the stall. There are threads already on here that explain what stall is all about and why it occurs in the first place. 
in not so much concerned with the stall, im aware that it is the time that the fat breaks down to gel, what im more wondering is how it took me so long to even get to the stall. i didnt get there for 9 hours, and it almost seemed like it stalled twice.

I did a 6.5 lb butt last weekend and it was on the smoker for 15 hours. I foiled it at 165 and finished in the oven when the temp hit 170 since we had people coming for dinner. It was in the oven for about an hour where it went from 170 to 205 so it was pretty fast. Pulled real well and was very good when it came out! Good luck!
why is it that it cooks faster in the oven? or at least it seemed to. maybe its just because i didnt foil it until it got to the oven

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky