Pork Loin Stew Pocket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forluvofsmoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 27, 2008
Here's the plan for a nearly complete meal all in one package:

Pork Loin Stew Pocket
Stuffed Pork Loin: this recipe will be done with a 4lb-10oz (½ loin), stuffed with carrots, peas, celery, rice and fresh mushrooms, and lastly, itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s own internal sauce.

Pre-steam the following stuffing ingredients to aldente, then chill to stop cooking in cold water and drain well:
1-1/3 cup small diced carrot, ¼†size (4 med)- steamed 12 min
1 cup small diced celery (2 large stalks w/leaves), ¼†size- steamed 6 min
1-½ cup (pre-cooked measure) white or brown rice, or barley (I used parboiled white rice this time) 3-½ cups cooked volume, some-what chewy texture;
1 cup frozen sweet peas- steamed 3 min
Note: carrots and celery stalks are quartered, then diced

Season stuffing with:
2 Tsp kosher salt
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp course chopped dried red pepper
2 Tbsp course chopped green bell pepper,

Gently combine stuffing mixture with:
¾ cup small diced fresh button mushroom
1 small can cream of celery soup
Chill stuffing mixture until loin is pocketed and ready to stuff.

Process: partially flatten out the loin with a mallet, and then, press it down firmly while making a deep incision from one end with a long blade knife. Be careful not to perforate the loin on the sides, top, bottom or far end. Fill with the chilled stuffing and close with tooth-picks or sew-up with twine.
The loin is then to be seasoned with:
2 Tbsp kosher salt
2 Tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp roasted minced garlic
1 Tbsp roasted minced red bell pepper
Wet smoke @ 225 until an internal of 170 is reached, then, rest for approx 30 minutes before slicing. Any remaining stuffing will be reheated and used as a bed for the loin when plating.

Here's some of the process I've documented thus far:

Carrots peeled and sliced:

Carrots diced fine:

Celery chilling in cold water bath:

Celery drained after steaming:
Pq2bmhhS.jpg

Peas, Shrooms and Celery soup, then, Celery and Carrots, all waiting to get married:

And the Long-grain Rice, to round it all up for a nice filling:

The Victim, I'm hoping to achieve a thickness of about 3/4" when the pocket is cut...we'll se if I can make good on that:

More to follow as this progresses.

Thanks

Eric

OK...we're smoking as I write. Been in the thin blue for 2-1/2 hrs...first stab with the digital probe, she was stalled at 130 for a 1/2 hour...weird, but cool, 'cause it was only in the thin blue for 2-1/2 hours when she flat-lined.

The last I looked, the internal was at 149...that was 3-1/2 hrs in the blue (I LUV IT!!!) Gotta luv it! Pre-cooked internal ingredients count for something...

This is all a first for me...no coaching, no body else's recipes used...just havin' a blast with a new idea! Oh, ABT's and Rice Cakes are in there too...HAH!!!

This has got to be the most fun I've had with food in month's!!! LOL!!!

Here's the filling ready to mix:

Filling ready to be crammed into a porker:

Here's the pig's back about to be broken!!!!!

Well, I'll be...I didn't screw up the slotted pocket cut after all (I still have 10 fingers, too)! Let's get some filling in that bad boy, shall we?

Miss Piggy's back is broken, and ready to partake of some serious flavor transactions:

This looks realy messy, 'cause it is! BUT IT'S FUN!!! LOL!!!

Rubbed and ready for the thin blue...Mesquite being the theme tonight!

This is too much fun!

Be back ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eric

Here we are with dinner nearing:

Steam, heat and the end of the thin blue (sniff, sniff):

Happy loin @ 164 degrees:

Back again soon!

Eric

It had too dry an interior to be called a stew, but, it was still really good eats!

The surgical precision of the meat pocket incision was accurately placed...beautifully executed tubular form of the loin, eh? Apparently, I'm a good steady hand with a blade...that's kinda spooky, no?

Plated, without flash:

And, with the flash:

And, how about the rice pilaf cakes? Added 1 cup of Mozzerella to approx. 3 cups of remaining pilaf for the cakes. Smoked @ 350 degrees for about 30 minutes with a lil' Hickory. Mmm-mmm-mmm...

Rename it if you like, 'cause it's not a stew interior...but, what else can you cram into a loin, smoke it, and eat it? Not very much I wouldn't try right now...

Hmmm...how about this a for a name: Pork Loin Pilaf?

I LIKE IT (so did the family)!!!!

This is my first real smoke since the site crash, and It feels GOOOOOOOOOD!!!

May the thin blue be with you!

Eric

Looks great Eric, and thanks for the step by step. Points comin to ya when I can give some!

Thanks for the pics. I just had to give you points for this one!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks guys, it was another fun day playin' with fire! I didn't have a rock solid plan of attack for this one, just a basic idea where I was going the day before...funny thing is, that's how I really like to cook...no recipes, just start going through what I have for ingredients and nail it together as I go! This didn't come out exactly how I thought it would, but, it was actually a better meal than I planned. The pilaf filling instead of the saucy stryle was a nice surprise, and then the rice cakes were kind of a last minute thing...one of those (Hmmm, what can I do with this?) moments. As always, it's been fun to put together. I always get a kick out of these posts when I try a new dish.

Happiness is a smoker full a meat! Hah-hah!

Enjoy!

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky