Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Pork Loin Jerky (Step by Step with Pics)

I saw this done by at least 3 different guys, so I combined the things they did, and came up with what I did below.

Pork Loin (not Pork Tenderloin) is a very lean cut of meat, which is what you want for Jerky, and it costs less than half as much as Lean Beef. This Loin was $1.68 LB.

I made a few changes in what I actually did to make it even better than my first batch came out.

So I began with about 6 pounds of Boneless Pork Loin. I trimmed off everything that wasn’t nice solid red meat. You can save the trimmings for sausage or anything that suits your fancy. Then I sliced it all into 1/4” thick slices. Then I mixed up the following batch of Curing & Seasoning Brine:

Curing & Seasoning Brine (Per pound of Meat):
Tender Quick———————————1/2 TBS
Brown Sugar———————————3/4 TBS
Black Pepper———————————1 tsp
Cayenne—————————————1/4 tsp
Garlic Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Onion Powder——————————1/2 tsp
Ground Ginger——————————1/2 tsp
Worcestershire Original——————1/2 ounce
White Wine————————————1/2 ounce
Water———————————————1 ounce

Mix this all real good, until the Brown sugar dissolves.

Then I drop 1 piece at a time into the Marinade (Brine), to be sure each piece gets a good coating on both sides, and from there into the Ziplock bag.
After all pieces have been tossed into the bag, I dumped the rest of the Marinade into the bag with the meat (not much left).
Then I put that bag on a tray (in case of a leak), and into the fridge for 24 hours.
During that 24 hours, I flip the bag over every 2 hours, and reach inside the bag a couple times to stir the pieces around, so the inside pieces get a turn on the outside.
Then after 24 hours, I rinse all the pieces off & put them on paper towels to pat dry.

Now it’s time to put in Smoker:
8:00—————Put all pieces on top 4 racks of my 6 rack MES 40. (I put Frog Mats & Q-Mats on racks first)
8:00—————Start Smoker & set to maintain 140° of heat.
8:30—————Fill two rows of my AMNS with Hickory Dust, and light one end.
10:00————-Put AMNS on bottom rack on left end (away from heating element)
12:00————-Bump heat up to maintain 150° of heat.
4:00—————All pieces are dark reddish color, and they crack when bent, without breaking.
4:00—————Remove from Smoker & take in house, lay out to cool.

Then put all the pieces in a big Zip lock, leave the bag open and put in fridge over night.

Next day I kept a few pieces and gave all the rest to my Son. He loves Jerky!!

This stuff really is Great, and so much cheaper than Beef Jerky!

Thanks for looking, and enjoy the Pics.

Bear

About two thirds of a Boneless Pork Loin after trimming down to pure Red Meat only:
DSCN2441.jpg

All sliced up into 1/4” slices of 4 pounds, 8 ounces of Pork Loin:
DSCN2443.jpg

Mixing up my Curing & Seasoning Brine:
DSCN2447.jpg

Each piece goes into the Brine one at a time:
DSCN2449.jpg

Then each piece goes into the Ziplock:
DSCN2450.jpg

All 4.5 pounds goes into the fridge for 24 hours, flipping & mixing every 2 hours:
DSCN2451.jpg

4 Racks full goes into my MES 40:
DSCN2453.jpg

Some of the pieces cooling before bagging:
DSCN2456.jpg

A plate full of Great Tasting Pork Jerky:
DSCN2455.jpg

Last edited:
Great Looking Jerky there John,   I like Pork Jerky The last two times I made Jerky it was pork   Yours looks really good,   Now I know you can mail me some

points1.png

Gary

Great Looking Jerky there John,   I like Pork Jerky The last two times I made Jerky it was pork   Yours looks really good,   Now I know you can mail me some

points1.png

Gary
Thank You Gary!!!

This is good stuff, but I gave just about all of it to my Son.

And Thanks for the Points!!

Bear
Looks really good. Could cure #1 be used in place of the TQ? Should I use #2 instead of #1? Thanks
Rob
Thank You Rob!!

Sure, you could use Cure #1 instead----Then you'd use a lot less, and you'd be adding some salt with the Cure #1.

Bear

That's some tasty looking jerky.

Gonna have to try some.

Nice job, John!

I'm not a big jerky fan, but pork jerky sounds very interesting.

Points for getting me thinking!

Al

Bear, that is great looking jerky,maybe you can adopt me so some of that jerky will be headed my way ! 
icon_biggrin.gif

points.gif

Haven' tried Pork Jerky yet.You made it look good as always thanks for sharing Points

Richie

That's some tasty looking jerky.

Gonna have to try some.
Thank You Adam!!

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

Nice job, John!

I'm not a big jerky fan, but pork jerky sounds very interesting.

Points for getting me thinking!

Al
Thank You Al !!

I'm with you, I'm not a big Jerky Fan----I made these for my Son---He loves Jerky.

It was good stuff though---I kept a few pieces.

Bear

I've never done pork jerky, but am now encouraged to try!

points.gif
Thank You Idaho!!

This stuff is Great, and so much cheaper than Beef!!

Bear

Bear, that is great looking jerky,maybe you can adopt me so some of that jerky will be headed my way ! 
icon_biggrin.gif

points.gif
Thank You CM !!

And for the Points too!!

Bear

Today is my lucky day...  I haven't check the forum for a few days and what is the fist thing I see.....  Bears Great Looking Pork Jerky....   That really looks good, I can almost taste it.  Bear, you know I have to try this.  I have two loins in the freezer so this one is right up my alley.  Thanks for the posting and the great idea..   

points.gif

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky