Pork loin ham in the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
16 days ago, I cut up most of 2 full size pork loins to cure for some loin ham. This "ham" that I make starts out as Canadian bacon, but after the cure, I skip the part that "makes" it CB. All I do is cure it in Pop's brine for around 14 days, let dry in the frig for ~24 hours t o get a pellicle, and then smoke it until I get an internal temp of 145ish.

I'm not too good at step by steps, that's Bearcarvers domain, he has more patience and takes better notes! :biggrin:

So here's a few in progress shots to get the ball rolling.

The loin chunks fresh from the frig, still in the brine. I use a food safe lug that has a lid for brining/curing loins and bacon. To keep them submerged, I put a plate, or plates, on top of them.

The loins after dumping the curing solution. Interesting colors this time, maybe Chef Jimmy or BearCarver can chime in. I've cured a lot of CB in a wet brine before, and never had the brownish color like I did this time. Smelled good, so it went with it.

Had to do a fry test after soaking for 30 minutes. Yep, good flavor!

All dry and ready to net up

Netted and ready to smoke!

In the smoker to dry a couple of hours at 130 degrees

Now, to answer the question that comes up now and then, why I use netting for my CB and loin ham.

I use the netting because I can put more in the smoker at once without using multiple racks. I like the shape it gives the loin, and finally, I really like the marks it leaves on the mini "hams". :biggrin:

I am in. But what do you skip? Not to make it cb?

I am in. But what do you skip? Not to make it cb?

I don't coat the outside with anything. No pepper, no cornmeal, etc.... I also should have noted, that when I normally make CB, I add herbs to my liquid. Basil, sage, thyme, peppercorn, and some juniper berry.

When I make this (3rd time) I just do Pop's brine.

Pretty cool video, I like those hanging pics.   Looking good    
points1.png

Gary

Smoked with apple pellets in the new tube to 145°.  The color looks good, they smell great, but the flavor, OH MY!  Loving this stuff!

I brought the smallest piece to work with me today so my resident guinea pigs could try some...It lasted less than 5 minutes between 4 of us!!

The other 6 "mini hams" are sitting in the frig and will be vac packed tomorrow evening.  I work until 2330 tonight.

Hey CB  where do you get your netting ?

Gary

I don't coat the outside with anything. No pepper, no cornmeal, etc.... I also should have noted, that when I normally make CB, I add herbs to my liquid. Basil, sage, thyme, peppercorn, and some juniper berry.

When I make this (3rd time) I just do Pop's brine.
That's funny you should say that:

This last batch I Dry cured, I skipped the CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder, to make it more like Ham, and it worked.

I even mentioned it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/238504/canadian-bacon-step-by-step-2015#post_1492670

Can't help you with the Brownish color---Must be a Wet Brining thing.

Your Final product looks Great !!
drool.gif
-----------------
points.gif

Cute little Bag Hams!!
icon14.gif

Bear

That's funny you should say that:

This last batch I Dry cured, I skipped the CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder, to make it more like Ham, and it worked.

I even mentioned it:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/238504/canadian-bacon-step-by-step-2015#post_1492670

Can't help you with the Brownish color---Must be a Wet Brining thing.

Your Final product looks Great !!
drool.gif
-----------------
points.gif

Cute little Bag Hams!!
icon14.gif

Bear
I saw that last night!  I almost commented, but figured I'd wait.  
biggrin.gif

This is the 3rd time I've done it like this, and all thus far have said keep on doing it.

The first time I did it I was going to coat a few pieces and totally forgot to.  It was a GOOD mistake to make!  Here's the first round I did.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/233746/making-a-little-canadian-bacon-ham

I'll have more in the brine soon, the bride called and said she gave one of the larger pieces to her mother tonight.  It must be good if mom in law is willing to slice and package it herself!

Thanks for the points!

I looked up the spots, it was a combination of the wet brine and O2.  Ugly, but still safe.

Smoked with apple pellets in the new tube to 145°.  The color looks good, they smell great, but the flavor, OH MY!  Loving this stuff!

I brought the smallest piece to work with me today so my resident guinea pigs could try some...It lasted less than 5 minutes between 4 of us!!

The other 6 "mini hams" are sitting in the frig and will be vac packed tomorrow evening.  I work until 2330 tonight.

That looks awesome CB, nice job !

:beercheer:

Man that looks great. I gotta get me some netting. I have seen several uses for it

Man that looks great. I gotta get me some netting. I have seen several uses for it

When I do long pepperoni logs, I net it after casing instead of using a string at the top. I had some twine fail once and lost a 5# chub of pepperoni on the fire. The netting holds up really well with ham bag hooks.

They always say you eat with your eyes and the netting definitely gives it that ham look. Awesome cook! Points!

I like the look of it as well, and I've had quite a few family members comment on it when I've used it on other things too.

Thanks for the points!

Sorry to be late to this.

First let me say your finished ham looks terrific and I would love some.

Point.

There was a discussion between the difference between back bacon and ham. There isn't a lot of difference IMHO. However, when I do back (Canadian) bacon, I use a dry cure and smoke it all the way.

When I want to do a loin ham, I use Pop's brine with a slight variation. I smoke it as a cold smoke for 4 hours and then a couple of hours at 160 F. That gives it a nice colour and smoke taste. The internal temperature of the ham is usually only about 100 F after that.

Then I wrap it in plastic wrap and steam it to an internal temperature of 150 F.

Here is the link to a post where I used this method.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/180911/loin-hams-bless-me-pop-for-i-have-sinned

I find the texture this way is more ham like with a moisture texture than the smoke all the way through which I think gives a drier bacon texture.

Just my humble opinion.

Disco

Last edited:
Thanks Disco!

Not sure how I missed your thread before, but I'm all over that! The "ham" does come out a bit dryer than I'd like, so next go around I'll try your process! I bookmarked it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky