Pork Loin Canadian Bacon..... my way..... MONEY...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice looking plate Dave!

All you need now is some hash browns, grits, & a couple of eggs, Oh yea, an English muffin too!!

points.gif

Al

Beautiful Sir! Nice job Dave.
Quote:

Dave that is some nice looking CB 

Richie

icon14.gif
Quote:

Nice looking plate Dave!

All you need now is some hash browns, grits, & a couple of eggs, Oh yea, an English muffin too!!

points.gif

Al
Quote:
Yum! Time for egg muffin sandwees!

Points!
Quote:

Wow, that looks great Dave. Points for a job well done.
points1.png
Thanks for the nice comments...  I've done a few and this ones the best by miles....

Between the pellicle and the Ames Phos, this stuff is really moist...   I'm kind of surprised...   After the smoke, the smoker temp. was set to ~190 ish to finish the cook...    exhaust damper closed 90%...  Inlet on the MB mod closed to 1 hole...

The flavor is the best I have tasted in a loin....  The small end of the loin, the darkest one, tastes like butt....   The big end, the lighter colored meat, tastes like ham...   New to me...

Soooooo, now I'm more interested in continuing with loin...   Maybe gently roast some Montreal Steak Seasoning in a skillet the heat in the injection liquid and strain to remove the hunks..  so the needle doesn't plug...

The 1% salt is plenty with the MS seasoning...  When I do the dissolving test, I won't add salt...    The hickory smoke was very good...  subtle but added great flavor...

.. ..

HT, Afternoon.....   Exhaust always wide open when adding smoke....   I close it down when the cooking starts to reduce the evaporative cooling effect of moving air...   I think it speeds up the cooking process when the meat is wet from pumping or brining....  But then, on occasion, I get water dripping from the lower portion of the door then I open the exhaust up to let some water out.....   Heck, I have no idea what I'm doing half the time....   And I always smoke and cook meat at a lower temperature than Chef JJ recommends, and hold it at the final temp longer than recommended....

I think the really big deal is form a good pellicle....  Smoke penetrates better....  I smoke around  120-140....  several hours... close down the exhaust mostly... turn up the heat...   Hold at final temp of 160 ish for an hour or so....   I don't like the pork flavor if cooked to 145-155...   If we get too deep into NON USDA approved stuff, we should PM our thoughts so I don't get in trouble again....

Reactions: foamheart

HT, Afternoon.....   Exhaust always wide open when adding smoke....   I close it down when the cooking starts to reduce the evaporative cooling effect of moving air...   I think it speeds up the cooking process when the meat is wet from pumping or brining....  But then, on occasion, I get water dripping from the lower portion of the door then I open the exhaust up to let some water out.....   Heck, I have no idea what I'm doing half the time....   And I always smoke and cook meat at a lower temperature than Chef JJ recommends, and hold it at the final temp longer than recommended....

I think the really big deal is form a good pellicle....  Smoke penetrates better....  I smoke around  120-140....  several hours... close down the exhaust mostly... turn up the heat...   Hold at final temp of 160 ish for an hour or so....   I don't like the pork flavor if cooked to 145-155...   If we get too deep into NON USDA approved stuff, we should PM our thoughts so I don't get in trouble again....
ok will do., I prettty much smoke/cook the same way. Apply the smoke then finish it off. I think you are right on the moisture retention to speed up the cooking process. On my upcoming smoke I am going to close my damper off after applying the smoke  and see what results I note, Thanks for your input as it is respected.

HT

HT....    I think meat holding moisture, conducts heat faster through to the center than drier meats...    Good luck and let us know what your test results are... 
beercheer.gif

Dave,

Have you tried cold smoking the loin?
Nope...   Cook to an IT of 145 ish to leave room for reheating without overcooking...  That's a good recipe..    moist loin...  flavorful because of the chicken stock injection..  pretty good...  better than any other loin I have cooked..   and FWIW, I think loin sucks for flavor... It needs a ton of help...    use your imagination when adding stuff.... 

You can gently heat the chicken stock and submerge a tea ball full of spices and herbs to kick it up...

Foamheart did something I want to try...  he ties his loins with butcher's twine so it keeps it's shape...  round...   I want to try that...  I think it will help keep the meat moist....

Check this out...  

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/248770/peach-glazed-pork-loin-foamheart

and this.....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/160533/smoked-pork-loin-w-maple-kumquat-glazze

Sounds great.

I just made CB with loin in a EQ wet brine injected and cured 14 days.

It came out nice and moist but YOU are right Dave about the flavor...dull ! Somewhere I read to inject flavor in between the brine and the smoke for CB. So I am going to try the flavor I am trying to achieve in between the brine and smoke next time. I cold smoked it 24 hrs. The cold smoke is awesome by the way. You guys have converted me to this method for some meats. 

The loin is Dull tasting pretty much so what we did with it is bake it on a rack at 350f for 30-45 mins after adding Myron Mixon's Jack's old south  Spicy Sweet Mustard BBQ, or Brisket rub with no salt or a flavoring and make excellent semi jerky. You can cook it to your desired doneness (chewy.... crunchy ....). Wow great stuff!

Not a guy to advertise often but if you like SPICY tingle the top of your brain semi sweet mustard sauce try the jacks old south mustard bbq. WOW!!!!!!
drool.gif
Also the ingredients in his sauce are all real and natural.

DDR

Last edited:
I'm glad this thread got resurrected.  The doc has me on a "lets shrink Ray" program and I need a new protein for breakfast.  Eggs are getting old.  Off to the store to get some loin, sirloin, or tenderloin to cure.  Thanks Dave!

Reactions: ddrian

"I think the really big deal is form a good pellicle....  Smoke penetrates better....  I smoke around  120-140....  several hours..."  And that is the best advise about smoking you'll ever get. Everything else ......  just lagniappe.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky