Pork fat on or off?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

calismoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2007
Getting ready to smoke for the second time. I think from all the great advice this week, i have figured out alot of last weeks issues. Now I am sitting anticipating firing up the smoker tomorrow to smoke a 6 lb pork roast. The roast has a layer of fat on one side. Normally for BBqing i'd leave it on and never think twice about it. However new to smoking thought i would ask what everyone thought. LEave it on or trim it off? If left on will be be soggy mush or crispy?

Thanks

Fred

I've done pork loins a bit and left the fat on always. I enjoy eating the fat encrusted with rub.

It's really a personal choice, though most say leave it on. Some say remove it after cooking.

Also, if you don't use a water pan, the aroma of the fat that hits the fire or smoker container adds to the roast. Much like happens when you grill.

Fred -

Just like on the grill it'll be crispy on the outide and drooly on the inside! I hate fat but I still leave it on it's good crispy!

Fred leave it on for your smoke, then remove it AFTER if you wish, fat is what gives you the flavor and moistness we all look for in our meat, this is especially true in the leaner cuts, not so much with pork shoulder as they contain alot of internal fat, but best practice IMHO,is leave it on for the cooking ,then remove as desired .
wink.gif

Done the loins, up and down. No noticeable difference. The fat layer does seem to limit smoke penetration and does have a narrower smoke ring.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky