Pork Butts on my Big Steel Keg

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ol' smokey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2009
Parma, Ohio
I started the Keg and got the butts on at 6 pm Thursday. They were rubbed with McCormicks Sweet & Smokey Rub. Here's a pic of them going on the Keg. The Keg temp was stable at 250°.

37676fe2_DSC_0007_sml.jpg

At 2 am Friday I rotated and foiled. The internal temps were at 160°. I took until 8 am to reach 200° internal. I drained the juices which went into the fridge. When cooled I skimmed the fat off and the juices will be used to moisten the pulled pork.

Here they are after 14 hours.

f9d49bb0_DSC_0008_sml.jpg

882c1073_DSC_0009_sml.jpg

The finished product.

8bf21465_DSC_0010_sml.jpg

Again the Keg surprised me at the temp control and charcoal use. Everytime I checked up on the temps they were at 250°. I'm guessing on the amount of charcoal used but I think between 3 to 4 lbs. would be very close.

Thanks for looking

Reactions: meateater
cool.gif

Well you sure did one fine job on that PP. You will love it to I'm sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky