Pork Butt wood chunk substitute

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crcraswell

Original poster
Jun 12, 2015
Costa Rica
Have a couple of pork butts ready for smoking tomorrow. However, I have no wood chunks and need some help. At the moment, I only have access to wood chips.

I know this isn't an ideal situation but need to come up with some type of resolution. Even if it is not going to give 100% results of wood chunks.

How can I set up my Weber Smokey Mountain and use wood chips for my smoke tomorrow? Should I just plan on soaking the chips, wrapping packs of them in foil and setting them in the smoker?  Will this give me any type of result?

FYI:  I live in Central America. Smoking is not a common thing and the 3 BBQ shops that can usually be relied on for wood chunks are all out of stock. Ordering online will take 2-3 weeks plus import fees so not really viable right now.

I wouldn't soak them, just wrap in foil packs maybe place on the outer edges of the coals so maybe wont burn up as fast ? Don't know may help ?

Gary

Foil packs or some disposable foil pie plates with some holes in them should help the chips last longer than just throwing them in (but if all else fails throwing the chips on the coals will get you some smoke). 

Do you have access to lump charcoal? Lump will add some smoke flavor on its own without any additional wood. It won't be as strong but it will help out. 

I notice you have no location in your profile. Location helps us to help you. I have maple trees all around my property and there is a never ending supply of dry maple branches. Look around your neighborhood. I cut them up into chunks with my skil saw when I don't have anything else. Lowes, HD, ace hardware, some grocery stores, gas stations, apple and or cherry orchards, neighbor's brush pile. they all are possibilities. I have used lilac, grape, and all kinds of other stuff from around town to smoke with. Be creative. If not then you can make a foil pouch for chips. Make it like an envelope sealed up very will and only poke enough holes in it to allow it to produce a thin blue smoke. You can make several and keep changing them out. I do this sometimes in my weber kettle as it makes really nice smoke. good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks. updated profile. I am in Costa Rica. Not really a hot bed for smoking meats. There's BBQ, but slow cooking with wood chunks not a tradition. Makes materials/equipment that would be easily accessible back in the USA or Canada hard to find

There are other members from your neck of the woods that might be able to help you get local wood, and for what local woods are good for smoking. I would think any fruit bearing tree or bush might be worth a try. Coffee wood is good for sure.

Make foil packets.  Double wrap in foil and poke a few holes in them to let the smoke out.   Make a few and toss them in when needed.

thanks guys. I'll figure out something with the chips as it's late notice for this weekend. I will look into alternatives solutions so I don't run into this again.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky