Pork Butt time estimate way off!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foozer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Huxley, Iowa
Hopefully it will still turn out OK. I smoked 5 butts (40 lbs) for a mission trip fund raiser for our church. They will be serving it today at 4:00. Anticipating it would take a little over 1 1/2 hours per pound I put them on last night at 6:30 thinking they would be done about noon. I would then wrap them and put them in a cooler for a few hours. My wireless thermometer woke me at 5:30 AM. One by one I put a different thermometer in each and 4 out of the 5 were in the mid 190's. They will be coolered for 7 hours. I hope that isn't too long to sit in a cooler. The 5th butt (the largest) is still on and seems to have plateaued at 178. Does that seem a little high for a plateau?
Here are a couple of pictures.
9a7ab56e_vbattach17897.jpg

1c5d63a5_vbattach17896.jpg

Most people foil at about 165- 170 and then bring up to 195-205 for pulling before placing in the cooler. To retain some of the juices. Still lookes real good and tender.

White Cloud,
I think the main reason most people wrap in foil at 160 is to keep the bark from becoming too bitter from the smoke. With my Stumps smoker that is not a concern, I can smoke it naked up to 200 without the bark becoming bitter and it will still be very juicy. I am just concerned about having them wrapped and in a cooler for 7 hours. I hope that doesn't effect the quality of the meat.

Earache,

That is what I did. Hope they maintain the quality for that long.
Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like a plan. Maybe stick a probe frome the digi in one of the roasts. That way you can monitor the temp in the cooler, if it get to low put em on a baking sheet in a low oven. Leaving in foil will only make em better.

White Cloud,
That is a good idea. I think in about 3 or 4 hours I will take their temp and if the temp is getting low I will put then in the oven on low for a little while.
Thank you.

As long as you can hold em in that cooler over 140* you should be fine. If they are goin to drop below that point, put them in the oven as others have suggested. Good luck with the feed.

Just a suggestion...Why dont you just pull them now, add your finishing sauce, and reheat them later for your event. A few hours soak in the sauce will help tenderize and flavor the meat. I am not sure if you have the ovens at the event location but if you do this is the way I would go. I like mine pulled and soaking in the sauce for a few hours prior to serving. Just my 2 cents.

Whatever you choose, enjoy your gathering!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Foozer I've had acouple of butts in the cooler and fell a sleep, six hours later I pulled them and they turned out fine. But I would agree with Smokin' Joe and go a head and pull them now. Mix in the finishing sauce and just reheat it. As far as the plateau goes I really don't think there's a set temp. it happens at. Most of the time with the butts and shoulders I've done it happens at 150 or so. I really wouldn't worry about it happening at 170. Hope they tasted as good as they look.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky