Pork Butt Left In Cooler Overnight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toneybub

Original poster
Oct 25, 2013
I read through some other threads but didn't find any answers to this so forgive me if I missed it.  I smoked a pork but yesterday and it finished around 11:30 last night with IT of 190.  I wrapped in foil and left in cooler outside overnight because I fell asleep 
hit.gif
.  It was in the low 30's overnight so my question is will the meat have been in the danger zone too long since I didn't pull the pork and then refrigerate?  

Unfortunately I didn't check because I was leaving for work but it still felt warm when I put it in the fridge which is what worries me. 

FWIW, in the future, when cooling foods in containers in the refer, the lids should be off so the heat can escape... when cooling things like roasts or butts, they should be unwrapped and on a rack for full air circulation so they cool rapidly... that is a safe and fast way to lower the temperatures of the food in question....

About your pork butt.... I could take a guess... Best to contact Chef Jimmy J ....

Thanks for the advice, the idea was to let it rest for an hour and then pull but I ended up zonking out.   At least the dogs and cluckers can enjoy it worse case. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky