Polish Fattie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plex03

Original poster
May 17, 2015
Hey all, 

This is my first attempt at a fattie. Here's what I've done so far: (Part 1 - Prep)

1.) Made my own fresh "Wiejska Style" Fresh Polish Sausage. I stared with a 5 lb. pork shoulder and cubed it along with 15 cloves of chopped garlic.

2.) Then ran the cubed pork and garlic through the meat grinder 2 times:

3.) Added fresh Marjoram, salt, pepper and mustard seed & ice water to the mixture. Mixed, covered and wrapped overnight in the fridge. 

4.) Made my bacon weave:

5.) Rolled out 1 lb. of the homemade sausage per the awesome tips on here:

6.) Layered with swiss cheese:

8.) Then sauerkraut, and some onions that I sweated. 

8.) Rolled (again per the incredible tips on here)

9.) Wrapped in the bacon weave and chilled in freezer for 30 minutes. 

I'll add Part 2 at time of smoking/post smoke.

Part 2:

10.) Fatties going in the Brinkmann Electric Smoker with Applewood Chunks:

2 hours and 45 minutes later....

12.) Popped them into a 400 degree oven just to tighten up the bacon a tad and here's the end result after resting:

Last edited:
Damn, I love this site ! That looks delicious ! Nowhere else on the web but a meat smoking forum can you find a combination like that. It will never be on the menu at cardiologists convention, but I will have to try one. Thanks !

Good 'ol KitchenAid Grinder Attachment for the mixer.

Part 2 added to original post. Turned out great. Very old world flavor most likely due to the marjoram.

A little 1000 Island Dressing and Bavarian Style Ground Mustard on the side. YUM!

Reactions: SmokyMose
P03, great looking fatties !
points.gif

Very nice! Now you need to make your own pastrami. Easy and WAY better than Boarshead.

I have a KA Grinder. It's ok for a quick batch of sausage, up to 5 pounds, but slow and not efficient. The Kitchener #12 is on my Christmas list. It is the ONLY electric under $200 that uses all metal drive gears...JJ

Reactions: plex03

Very nice! Now you need to make your own pastrami. Easy and WAY better than Boarshead.

I have a KA Grinder. It's ok for a quick batch of sausage, up to 5 pounds, but slow and not efficient. The Kitchener #12 is on my Christmas list. It is the ONLY electric under $200 that uses all metal drive gears...JJ
You have me intrigued. Have you done your own Pastrami before? Do tell.....do tell. 

I too may put that Kitchener #12 on my list. 

Killer Corned Beef Brine

1Gal Cold Water

1/2C Morton Kosher Salt (3/4C if DC)

1/4C Pickling Spice

1C Diced Onion

4 Cloves Garlic, chopped. 

1Ea Carrot, diced

1Ea Rib Celery, diced

1T Fresh Thyme Leaves (1tsp Dry)

2T Brown Sugar

1T Cure #1

Toast the Pickling Spices in a dry 2 Qt Pot over medium heat until fragrant.

Add 1Qt of the Water and the remaining EXCEPT the Cure #1.

Bring to a Boil and simmer 5 minutes.

Add this " Tea " to the remaining 3QT Cold Water in a food safe container and stir in the 1T Cure #1.

Measure the thickness of the meat at the thickest point.

Brine One Day for each 1/2 inch of thickness of the thickest part.

Soak completely submerged, weight down with a bag of water.

Everything may fit in a Ziplock 2 Gallon Bag if you don't have a Food Safe Container.

Place Bag in another container or roasting pan in case of leaks.

Better 'en NY Pastrami Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar

2T Black Peppercorns

1T Coriander Seed

1T Dill Seed

1T Dry Minced Onion

1T Dry Minced Garlic

1tsp Allspice Berries

1tsp Mustard Seed

1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves

3 Bay Leaves, crumbled

1tsp Juniper Berries 

All Spices are Whole and are toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant.

Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted. If grinding do so only slightly as the Minced size is pretty close to perfect for Pastrami.

Rub the Corned Beef with a light coat of Mustard then generously coat with Rub and rest overnight if desired, Smoke at 225°F until a probe slides in with no resistance. Rest 30 minutes and Slice. or Refrigerate and slice for Sandwiches.

For a Quicker Cook, Smoke 4-6 hours and Steam until probe tender.

This was some some seriously Good Eats...Enjoy...JJ

Last edited:
Plex that looks great,Follow JJs recipe you can't go wrong.Glad I took another look you added the pics of it Nice

Richie  

points.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky