Planning my first Fattie smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chefal

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 19, 2009
Peoria, AZ
Hello, All.

I will be attemting my first fattie smoke (along with my first QVIEW) in the next day or two and had a few questions for the group. It will consist of a 1 pound maple sausage stuffed with scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese, and veggies.

1. what is the ideal smoking temp?
2. should I flip it over halfway through the cook time?
3. about how long will it take?
4. what temp should I pull it off at?
5. once it comes off the smoker, do I wrap it and if so, how long should it "rest"?

Thanks in advance!!

I would smoke it at 250 with no flipping. Cook until internal is 165 which depending on how much filling there is could take 2-3 hours. When I pull mine off I rest it for about 30-45 minutes and just put a little foil over the top. Sometimes they dont last 30-45 minutes
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Good luck and dont forget the qview.

I smoke my fatties at 230-240 for a temp and they take around 2 1/2- 3 hours to smoke and thats an interal temp of 165-170. You don't flip them at all because you would probally break it and that would be a sin. After you have made it to the right temp justlet it rest for alittle while 20-30 minutes. Most of that time is for it to stiffen up so you can easly cut it.

Agreed - anywhere from 230 - 260 would be fine on temp, I would think...and the resting will help firm up the inside, so the cheese doesn't run out when sliced. Pull at 165 - 170 for best results! Have fun...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky