Plan A: or Plan B:????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dennisdocb

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 18, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I live ive in the sunshine state, unfortuntely it comes in liquid form at this time of year..My big gig is SAT...for the race in Daytone..6 couples..going with 6 slabs of babies and 2 chicks....Here are my plans....

Plan A:..Cook early and put in oven at 170...wrapped in foil...will be there for a couple of hours or so??..will this work without drying them out and will it work with ribs and chicks???

Plan B:..???If that won't work what can I do.. Need advice from the pro's.

Anything would be appreciated...thanks in advance

far from pro here, but from what I've read from the pro's here is...better to cook ahead and wrap in foil, then wrap in towel and place in cooler, this will allow it to retain its temp for a couple hours and help steam itself to make it tender. Remember smoking goes on internal temps not by the clock, so always give yourself plenty of time to make the meal right, your guests will rave about it! Good luck and dont forget the qview, we love ruining our keyboards with the drool that comes from looking at good food.

Food will keep cooking for a while in foil. Wrap it tight and it should stay quite warm for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. And being we get our liquid sunshine quite often, I would get some cover for your smoker. Porch umbrella from Wal-mart will work.

Yes if you're only looking at 2-3 hours lag time. You'll be very surprised how hot/warm things arewhne you pull them out and unwrap them. Plus, it helps that whole, fall off the bone thing, really.

as i stated before, no pro here. Once you have reached the internal temp that you want (weather you prefer to smoke to a certain temp then finish cooking it in the oven or doing it all in the smoker) then foil, towel, cooler...but my guess would be that keeping it warm in the oven would cause it to dry out, however I very well could be dead wrong on this...hopefully some seasoned pro's will chime in on this soon

Hey Flash, lived in Cedar key 1yr, 79. keywest 6 mths, 80, loved it...Sarasota 13 yrs..almost as good as the keys been in Jax since 93..several places in between..I-R Native....
cool.gif

SO far it looks like they are going in the coller....I knew I could count on this forum for good advice..
icon_idea.gif

WHen you get back and pull out of the cooler and they are not warm enuff, I throw mine back in the oven (still wrapped) @ 200 degrees and warms up nicley with out getting tuff. Doesn't take long either.

good luck Dennis. Things will turn out great. Watching the races and eating some smoke is a nice way to go.

I haven't wrapped ribs for long periods of time, but last week I did this with a couple of 5# brisket flats for a fishing trip: Cooked to internal temp of 190 deg, which it hit at 4:30 am. I then individually wrapped each in foil and wrapped them both in the same towel. Put meat in cooler and headed to the boat. I didn't open the cooler until approx 10:30 am to cut and the meat was still plenty warm. Hope this helps.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky