Pickel reciepe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rickw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 1, 2008
The Peoples Republic of IL.
I am wanting to can some pickled green tomatoes, I need to get a good dill brine for my tomatoes. Could y'all point me in the right direction for a recipe?

Here are a couple that I found on the Internet that might work for you.

Green Tomato Dill Pickles

[font=&quot]Ingredients[/font]
  • [font=&quot]5 lb SMALL FIRM GREEN TOMATOES [/font]
  • [font=&quot]FRESH DILL OR DILL SEEDS [/font]
  • [font=&quot]GARLIC CLOVES [/font]
  • [font=&quot]WHOLE CLOVES [/font]
  • [font=&quot]4 c VINEGAR [/font]
  • [font=&quot]1/3 c PICKLING SALT [/font]
[font=&quot]Instructions[/font]
[font=&quot]Wash tomatoes. Slice 1/4-inch thick. Pack loosely in hot sterilized quart jars with 1/2-inch headspace. [/font]
[font=&quot]To each quart, add [/font]
·[font=&quot]3-4 heads of dill (or 2 T), [/font]
·[font=&quot]1 clove garlic, [/font]
·[font=&quot]1 clove. [/font]
[font=&quot]In saucepan (non-aluminum), combine vinegar, salt, and 4 Cups water. Bring to boil. [/font]
[font=&quot]Pour boiling liquid over tomatoes, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids. [/font]
[font=&quot]Process them in boiling water bath in quart jars for 20-minutes. [/font]
[font=&quot]Will Make 5 quarts.[/font]

[font=&quot]Dilly Green Tomatoes[/font]
Dill pickled tomatoes are a great way to use up those small, green tomatoes. Stored in airtight jars, dilly green tomatoes are available all year long.
Ingredients:
  • 3-1/2 pounds small, firm, green tomatoes (or larger ones, quartered)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 hot red pepper
  • 1 branch celery
  • 1 fresh head of dill or 2 tablespoons dill seed
  • 2 quarts water
  • 1 quart vinegar
  • 1/2 cup granulated pickling salt
Preparation:

Wash about 3-1/2 pounds small, firm, green tomatoes (or larger ones, quartered). Drain and pack into quart jars. To each quart, add garlic, hot red pepper, celery and dill.
Combine water, vinegar and pickling salt. This will be your brine.
Bring to boiling; fill jar within 1/2 inch of the top. Seal lids. Note: You may want to process in hot water bath for 5 minutes, but not necessary.
I used quartered and whole green tomatoes. I washed up as many as I wanted to fill as many jars that I wanted and adjusted the brine by how many jars I had stuffed. I also put some up in pints
Makes about 4 quarts.

[font=&quot]PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES [/font]

[font=&quot]Wash tomatoes and pack in sterile jars. Add several garlic buds. (You may
also add strips of celery, pepper, carrots.) Boil the following five minutes:[/font]

[font=&quot]2 qt. water
1 qt. vinegar
1 c. canning salt
2 tbsp. dill seed[/font]

[font=&quot]Pour brine over tomatoes. This makes enough brine for 6-7 quarts tomatoes. Add fresh dill if available. They are ready to serve in six weeks.[/font]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky