pellet smoker or not???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks -

I guess I should pull the plug - but just can't decide whether to ..

1. try and use my existing 4-burner grill and either add the AMNS or wedge (http://www.thesmokinwedgie.com/)

2. get the model mentioned above and save some serious $$

3. bite a little bit more and get the Daniel Boone model with WiFi from GMG

I'll think about it more and try to make a decision.

Probably the most that I've learned from this site, and others in relation to 'smoking' is maintaining the temp at the correct 'temp' for the duration it takes (correct meat temp) for what your cooking.  Whatever best product you can afford or make, that does this - is the perfect unit for you.  You'll always have to 'mod' something as time goes by - so don't stress about that .. just start the journey and enjoy the ride.

thanks again to all ..
so many opinions...boggles the mind. However, don't assume that one smoker u get is going to be 'it'......it never is. Many of us here own different units at the same time. I have a electric Smokin' It #3 and really like that for long smokes. I got a hill billy bubba keg I use a rotisserie on, a regular old charcoal grill for burgers & steaks and the new addition of Char Griller pellet smoker for $450 from Lowes which I am quite fond of now. Different tools for different cooks. Be careful of the GMG's with wifi...I've heard of issues with the controller. The more techie you get the more apt for things to go belly up IMO. Around here they are about 900?....ouch......Willie

I know, right? What complicates it more is that now I can get the GMG with wifi for just over double the price of the MES unit.

Well, this one's in the bag.

purchased the MES 40.  will do the 'burn in' this weekend, and start smoking next week.

thanks all for your advice.

:) :) :)

Good choice! My 3rd (?) smoker was a MB40 1st generation, and I smoked a TON of good stuff on it! It is super easy to use! 

I have since upgraded to a Yoder YS480, and love that even more! 

In both units, I have always supplemented the smoke flavor with a AMTS. For me, it adds another "tweak" to a flavor profile. For example, hickory pellets in the Yoder & apple pellets in the AMTS for pork. Or hickory pellets in the smoker & mesquite pellets in the AMTS for brisket.

Just keep experimenting. That is a huge part of the fun of smoking!

Smoke on!!!

Another good praise for the unit, thanks. I'll have to say that I've been pretty disappointed in the smoke during my initial burn - in time though. I don't know how many pellets to add bit filled up the container and dumped it in. After about 15 minutes I added another cap/container full and it has been "cooking and heating" for about 40 minutes without much smoke coming out. I guess I had envisioned smoke "bellowing" out of every orafice..but this simply isn't the case. I'm using some pellets for a pellet - proper (all I had around town) which is a "blend" of apple and some other woods. Glad I ordered the amns device to use. I've seen that "rain blue" smoke is what you are looking for but it's 40 degrees outside and I can't see any smoke. This was my choice around here.

A lot of times TBS is very hard to see. Put your nose up to the exhaust and smell for it. You do not want billowing smoke. That is a rookie mistake that you don't have to make because you are now a member of the greatest group of smoke junkies this planet has ever known. Whew! 

A lot of times TBS is very hard to see. Put your nose up to the exhaust and smell for it. You do not want billowing smoke. That is a rookie mistake that you don't have to make because you are now a member of the greatest group of smoke junkies this planet has ever known. Whew! 
yeahthat.gif

Happy smoken.

David

Ok. I noticed after awhile (30 minutes perhaps) that I had a lot of smoke coming out which is probably an indication of a lot of wood burning which, for the amount of pellets I put in, was probably right. I'm going to try a whole chicken in a couple of days, tomorrow if it's thawed and will update back. I'll try to remember that it might take a bit for the wood to start smoking, the try to keep an eye out for that magic smoke color. Do most people keep the damper of top open, or closed? Does adjusting this become the determination of heat retained versus amount of smoke?

I own a Rec Tec pellet smoker and I am 100% happy with the unit.  It produces the right amount of TBS for my tastes and my family loves the food it cooks.  It cost around $1000 but was money well spent if you ask me.  If I ever needed more smoke I'd just use my AMZENPS but have not had to do that yet.  Unit uses about 1 pound of pellets per hour at 235 and will reach temps of 500 or so, so grilling a steak is also possible.  Perhaps the best thing about it is the temp control.  I have no problem setting the temp for 235 lets say and going away for hours.  As long as the electricity stays on the temp stays at 235.

Last edited:
Ok. I noticed after awhile (30 minutes perhaps) that I had a lot of smoke coming out which is probably an indication of a lot of wood burning which, for the amount of pellets I put in, was probably right. I'm going to try a whole chicken in a couple of days, tomorrow if it's thawed and will update back. I'll try to remember that it might take a bit for the wood to start smoking, the try to keep an eye out for that magic smoke color. Do most people keep the damper of top open, or closed? Does adjusting this become the determination of heat retained versus amount of smoke?
I don't have a mes but normally you want the top vent all the way open all the time. Otherwise you are asking for creosote formation and a bitter mouth numbing flavor. Not good. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky