Pastramified Turkey Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
So I got this bright idea the other day, why not cure and smoke some turkey legs like they were pastrami? I couldn't come up with a reason not to give it a shot so away we go...

I mixed up
1T tender quick
1/2T brown sugar
1/4T black pepper
1/4t paprika
1 small bay leaf
a sprinkle of granulated garlic
Mixed all up in the spice grinder

Wasn't sure which way they would come out best so I pulled the skin from one leg and seasoned, the other two I pulled the skin back, seasoned under the skin they pulled the skin back around them, vacuum sealed for 24 hours massaging many times during that time.

The next day I rinsed then soaked the legs for half an hour as I prepared their rub.
The rub was simple, toasted black pepper and coriander roughly ground with a little granulated garlic and a touch or oregano, rubbed with a little olive oil and rubbed under and on top of the skin.

Smoked at 225 over apple and cherry wood until 170. Spritzed with apple juice a few times during the smoke.

After a short rest under foil (15 minutes or so) it was time to give them a try.

Spicy, tender and full of flavor.
I was really amazed the cure worked in as deep as it did and gave the meat such a great cure in just 24 hours, was almost worried when I took my first bite because of how deep pink it was but they were cooked perfectly. The rub had a great peppery kick to it.
Definitely something going on the regular smoke rotation for me.

NICE!!!!!!!!!

Looks and sounds like a great twist to an old favorite, and you did it very well!

points.gif

Thanks for a great idea!

Eric

Wow, when I saw the first bite that's what I said. Fantastic.

Looks really good. What temp did you smoke them at? I tried something similar but smoked them at 250 and they seemed "rubbery".

I had ribs going so I made sure to keep the temps 225-250, doesn't make much of a difference to me because I don't eat the skin but when I do poultry by itself I usually run around 300.

Got a spy satellite up in orbit
icon_smile.gif

Maybe I shouldn't joke about that, Feds will be knocking on the door...

Man those look fabulous there fire. I'm really gonna have to try them like real soon too. Ok you gave me all the info I think I need.
points.gif
for the recipe and just coming out with it even if you took it with your satelites

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky