Pastrami Slim Jims

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, Jan 24, 2011.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

On the 20th i made some pastrami mix for 3 lb batch of sticks.

My dry ingredients.

[​IMG]

Mixed into 3/4 cup water.

[​IMG]

Mixed into meat by hand.

[​IMG]

Into a zip lock bag. Try to remove as much air as you can. Now fridge this 3-4 days.....Or longer if you can hold out...HAHA

[​IMG]

This morning i took the bag out to do the slim jims. Let this stand and get close to room temp....No ya aint going to get sick.

[​IMG]

2. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Looks good so far!!

Craig

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got the mix all stuffed and tied. Resting some before the smoke.

[​IMG]

Its pretty cold when i put them in the Bradley -2* Might take longer today. Still working on my proofer smoker.

[​IMG]

4. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Looking great....Gotta love the cold!!!!

5. beer-b-q

beer-b-q Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sticks look good... what is the recipe if you don't mind sharing?

6. nepas

This recipe is for 3 lbs of meat. If you make a larger batch just adjust to your taste.

1 1/4 Tbs mortons TQ Or 1/2 tsp cure #1

1/2 Tbs salt per lb of meat. 1 1/2 Tbs for this batch, you can adjust if you use the TQ

2 Tbs SPC....Soy Protein Concentrate.

1/2 cup water

1 Tbs light or dark brown sugar

1 1/2 Tbs ground black pepper

1 Tbs coriander seed

1 Tbs ground coriander

1 Tbs garlic powder

17-19mm colagen casings

7. nepas

Got the pastrami sticks done and on a 2 hour bloom. Will cut later and do a couple day fridge rest so the flavor can marry.

[​IMG]

8. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

nice!!!

9. nepas

Done on the bloom, cut and ready for the paper bag.

[​IMG]

10. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I'm In!!!

I was just telling my wife I needed to make some snack sticks, and these fit the bill!!!

Todd

11. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Was going to make some sticks this weekend. Will have to put this on the list. BTW What kind of meat Did you use?

12. nepas

I used 80/20 ground beef

13. dalton

dalton Smoke Blower

I wonder...   how do you think they would turn out if you didn't stuff them...   used a jerky gun and smoked them flat on racks instead of hanging...  

just wondering?

14. nepas

I think they would turn out just fine.

15. nepas

Got the sticks done and in a couple vac bags. They are going to a friend in Montana.

[​IMG]

Some slices for snacking.

[​IMG]

16. cassman

cassman Fire Starter

Looks great....Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will have to try it out.