Pastrami from Scratch

Discussion in 'Beef' started by smokin vegas, Nov 5, 2011.

1. smokin vegas

smokin vegas Smoking Fanatic

I tried brining[​IMG]) two 2 tri tip for the first time. I used:

8 cups of water

1/4 cup of salt

1 cup brown sugar

2 packages of pickling spice

1/2 teaspoon of cloves ground

4 bay leaves

12 cloves of garlic

Each tri tip was about 4 lbs each

After brining for 10 days I removed the meat from the mixture and drained it

[​IMG]

I smoked the corn beef at 165 degrees for 7 hours and it turned out wonderful!!!  Tender and lots of flavor!

[​IMG]

2. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Now that right there looks real purdy, Ivie!!!!

Awful tasty too!!!

Thanks for the views,

Bear

3. jak757

jak757 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Good for you, making it all from scratch.  It's on my list, just haven't gotten to it yet.  Looks really good!!!

4. venture

venture Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great lookin Strami!

Good luck and good smoking.

5. smokin vegas

It is worth all the effort!!!  So different from the store packaged.   Hubby could not believe the difference in flavor!!!

6. smokin vegas

I want to take some of the home made pastrami and mix with potatoes and onions and fry it up,  yummm

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  7. jak757

jak757 Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Great idea!  Pastrami hash....sounds like a winner!

8. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Smokin Vegas, evening.... well, I guess you are hooked..... Nice strami... I guess hubby thinks you are a keeper now...[​IMG]...

9. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Wow that looks Beautiful...But...Did you use a cure and just not list it?  It has a nice rosey color...JJ

10. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Same question.

11. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now if you take the corned beef and re-rub it with pickling spices and the secret spice of Jupiter berries you can make some of the best pastrami that you will ever had. Believe me I have done it many times and my cousin who's lives in New York City says it's way better then the world Famous Katz Deli too.

12. smokin vegas

OH ! Yeah!  Especially since he breaks out in hives when he eats some brands of hot dogs and ham/lunch meats.  No worry now we know what is in that meat now.  Now he can eat what he wants with no worries.

13. smokin vegas

Sounds great!!!!!  Cool!  I just bought some juniper berries.  So I can take the finished pastriami and rub it again with the pickling spices and juniper berries.  How long do you let meat rest before you eat it?  I bought a coffee grinder that I use for grinding just spices.  Will ground them up and rub it down again.  Thanks for the tip!!!  Ivie

14. smokin vegas

You are right I did forget to put add pick salt to the list of ingredients.  Yes I did use cure. 

15. How much pink salt went into the brine ?

16. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Smokin Vegas  , morning... I believe you need to put the corned beef back in the smoker after your re-rub has sat for a few days in the refer...

17. bluebombersfan

bluebombersfan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great!!  I just bought a pickled brisket and wanted to make it into pastrami! 

18. smokin vegas

I used large rounded teaspoon of pink salt

19. smokin vegas

W orks out perfect going to smoke a plain tri tip(brothers request) and sauage can re smoke pastrimi Tuesday. 

20. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks Fantastic!

Would you do anything different next time?

Todd