Paint chipping on side fire box

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hello.  I would say that is a little extreme even for ChaGriller, BUT they are on the cheaper end when talking smokers.  The BEST option is to wire brush / sand blast that entire smoker back to bare metal and then paint with a good quality high temp paint; but that's just silly isn't it.  You just aren't gonna spend that kinda money and time on a cheaper smoker.  The best thing you can do now is fire fight.  Get the wire brush on the angle grinder and buff these places off, then using good high temp paint blend the paint job back in.  If you apply the paint while the smoker is warm ( you should be able to hold your hand on the warm smoker )  it will penetrate better.  Also after doing the repaint, when you finish your next fantastic smoked meal; while the smoker is still warm ( JUST be able to leave your hand on it )  wipe the ENTIRE cooking chamber and firebox down with veg oil.  Once completely cool wipe off any excess.  It will smoke some when you fire it up again but that won't affect your meat.  I would wipe it down after every smoke but at least do it every other smoke.  Just my thoughts.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Reactions: the greenes
Yep. I keep a can of rustoleum grill paint on hand. I brush off the old chipped paint, and just hit it with a few sprays over affected area. Do this after ever grill or two. Keeps it from rusting out. Also keep covered when not using.

Last edited:
I would also say that is extreme for a little used CG.

There must have been some extreme heat there.

What there is on mine after several years use?  I just consider it as adding some character to the smoker.

At the rate I am going, it will still be a while before I have the perfect excuse to buy a new smoker. 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

I would also say that is extreme for a little used CG.

There must have been some extreme heat there.

What there is on mine after several years use?  I just consider it as adding some character to the smoker.

At the rate I am going, it will still be a while before I have the perfect excuse to buy a new smoker.  :biggrin:

Good luck and good smoking.

I think it's like the old saying goes, they don't build em like they used to.
Even though I have to hit the firebox with some grill paint on a regular basis, I don't mind. I really like my unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky