Outdoor storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carz

Original poster
May 5, 2015
New Jersey
Hey guys, just got an MES 30 a few days ago, havent used it yet but I wanted to get some basic information about storage. Can I keep it outside all year round? I can get a cover for it like my grill.

What does everyone else do with their MES all year?

Hey guys, just got an MES 30 a few days ago, havent used it yet but I wanted to get some basic information about storage. Can I keep it outside all year round? I can get a cover for it like my grill.

What does everyone else do with their MES all year?
Steve I see you found your way here. I have the MES 40 mine came with a cover,its not that good so I use a heavy trash can liner to cover the cover.Spring & Summer time it is outside. Late Fall I put it in my shed I know you are in Jersey but you may want to update your profile so others know,it helps answering questions.

Where are you located?

I keep mine in the garage on a cart and roll it outside when I want to use it.

Mine sits outside 24/7 on a table with a roof. Have used it several times in rain and snow, no troubles. I need the table space and seeing as how I don't use it anymore it is going to get buried in the back of the garage...

If you have an LCD then it needs to come inside in the winter.
If you say so...mine had zero troubles sitting outside. Made ribs in it on one of the days we were in the teens...chugged right along with no problems

I've read a couple of posts confirming it.  I also saw a vid of a guy that said it happened to him.  We're in the northeast.  It's brutal up here vs the PNW.

i do not have an LCD on it, nor do I have space for it in my garage. Worst case Ill move it into my basement (it is a little bit heavy)

I would think that if it is well covered and not in an area where snow will pile up around it or rain will flood onto it than it should be ok. But at the end of the day the wires inside the unit will rust so any excessive moisture will shorten the life span.

My MES 40 is on my front porch year round, with a roof over it, but I still keep a cover on it in case one of those Jersey Storms finds it's way to Pennsy.

Bear

Last edited:
In a prior discussion someone pointed me to a great cover for the MES-30. 
The original cover that came with MES was less than helpful at keeping rain, etc. off the smoker. This one works very well. I'm in Colorado and it seemed to do the trick for me. I don't know if it helps - but I also cover the connector on the smoker for the analog plug with a latex glove. Maybe it'll keep any moisture that gets past the cover off the electronics. Like yourself, I don't have a lot of places to keep the smoker. It's either on the deck or in the basement. Humping it up and down the stairs would most likely reduce its usage. 

The cover is made of pretty heavy material and seems well built. I need to order one like it for my Weber gas grill since the cover on that  is about shot after 3 years. 

Edit: After being reminded of it. I finally got around to ordering one cover for my newer Weber (Genesis) and the old one. Thanks for the push. Everything will match now 
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

In a prior discussion someone pointed me to a great cover for the MES-30. 
The original cover that came with MES was less than helpful at keeping rain, etc. off the smoker. This one works very well. I'm in Colorado and it seemed to do the trick for me. I don't know if it helps - but I also cover the connector on the smoker for the analog plug with a latex glove. Maybe it'll keep any moisture that gets past the cover off the electronics. Like yourself, I don't have a lot of places to keep the smoker. It's either on the deck or in the basement. Humping it up and down the stairs would most likely reduce its usage. 

The cover is made of pretty heavy material and seems well built. I need to order one like it for my Weber gas grill since the cover on that  is about shot after 3 years. 

Edit: After being reminded of it. I finally got around to ordering one cover for my newer Weber (Genesis) and the old one. Thanks for the push. Everything will match now 
biggrin.gif
I like the look of that cover. It looks way nicer than the cheap black rubberized ones that rip the first time you take them off.

Oh geez I have all those covers for my patio furniture.  The Veranda line.  They are complete garbage.  I have had to replace them twice in 2 years.  Good customer service though.  But they quality is horrible.  50% of them get mold.  You can clearly see that they have not been coated properly (the color changes with the sun).  The rest have huge tears.  All those Amazon reviews are totally fake. 

The Hickory line has a lifetime warranty so is probably better built.  But I would seriously avoid these covers. 

I'm in central Texas and leave my 30 on the covered patio all year with the cover purchased from MES. We very rarely get snow or prolonged periods of cold weather an almost never any frigid temps.

(But "shhhhh" - don't tell anybody)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky