On grate or rib rack in WSM?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graphicsman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Nashville, TN
Doing some BBs for the first time next weekend.  Getting the three pack from Sams.  This will be an experiment to say the least.  Ive read people doing 2-2-1 for BBs so im going to to do that route.  From what i can tell BBs are alot more tender and spares have more flavor?  I was wondering what some of you use in your WSM for ribs.  Do you prefer a rib rack or straight on the grate?  I know straight on the grate will be easier to foil but rack will get more smoke.  Planning on using both grates so i will be smoking 6 racks total.  Will a rib rack even fit on the lower grate?

If your BBY's are thick then they probably will not fit in a rib rack. Which WSM do you have? Rib racks will fit in the bottom and on top in a 22.5". I do think BBY ribs have more flavor, butt if you smoke spares right then you cannot go wrong with either one. Good Luck!!!

I use the Weber racks & You have to bend them a little to get BB's in. I also leave a space between the ribs,. so you could fit 3 racks in the Weber rack. Or 3 racks will easily fit on the grate, so 3 on top & 3 on the bottom. I'm kinda with chorizodahitman when he says he likes the ribs better when they are smoked in rib racks. The last ribs I did in racks were very good. Also when I foil them I use a foil pan with foil on top. You can stack them in the pan & it's a lot easier than foiling the individual racks.

I rarely disagree with Al.....buttttt, I prefer right on the grate. Used a rib rack breaking in the MasterForge gasser and it was a pain. Have also found I prefer a straight 5.5 or 6 with no foil on ribs, usually Costco ones, which are nice & meaty. Dealers choice though...you'll find what works best for you

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky