Old Freezer.....new smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokin_n_kc

Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
South Kansas City
I have a lay down (Horizontal) freezer that went kaput...
well...A little light went on in my head....now I'm wondering if it would make a good smoker???

I have seen old fridge's used....but, not sure if this would work
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif

any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated!!!
Thanks
Ed

1. Make sure that there are no plastic parts (door seal).

2. Be sure you have enough air movement with in the unit. They are designed to keep air inside and not have good air movement.

3. What do you plan on using as a heat source?

Are you thinking of hot or cold smoking? I made a cold smoker out of a very old fridge, when I cut the holes for intake and exhust, I found that it was insulated with card board like material. I have read that they catch fire very easy. Mine never did, I used a 1100 watt hot plate and kept the heat to less than 110 degrees. Good luck.

I have made 2 fridge smokers. On each of them when I was cutting holes and exposing he insulation I held a propane torch to the insulation to make sure it would not start on fire, with each of them neither of the insulations would ignite.

Nothing says it has to stay horizontal either.

Lay it on it's side, make a few racks out of expanded metal and angle iron, put a fire box in the bottom, put feet on it and you can hang a small pig in there!
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky