Ok Joe Highland. Having trouble getting consistent temp across grate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

miatawnt2b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 30, 2014
I've been trying to tune my new highland, And I built a baffle and tuning plate. I have also put a 3" elbow to extend the vent to the cooking grate. I am still seeing 25-30* temp differences from one side to the other. I built my tuning plate and baffle out of cookie sheets and they fit pretty well with very minimal gaps. I am just wondering if anyone has some other ideas on what might be going wrong. I am thinking about putting a layer of rockwool insulation on the underside of the angled part of the baffle. I think the cookie sheets may be too thin and aren't forcing the heat under the tuning plate.
Thoughts?

Sorry this isn't a useful response, but I think no matter what you do there is always going to be some temp variance on the OK Joe, or pretty much any offset for that matter. A reverse flow design is probably the only true solution, or perhaps ducting into the CC as seen on the Meadow Creek offsets.

That said, yes the cookie sheet is probably too thin and probably messing with airflow. Horizon makes a diffuser plate for the Highland that has graduated holes drilled in it. Take a look at their design, it shouldn't be too hard to replicate with some 10ga steel plate.

I take it that your Highland is not the reverse flow model, correct? Can OK Joe company supply the components to make it a reverse flow?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky